Tyron Woodley: “I’m the only African-American fighter on the roster who can capture the market"

Psychedelic

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
“In the past I was like, hey, I don’t want to speak on certain issues, because the second I speak on one thing about race, then I’m race baiting, I’m, ‘Hey, Tyron’s playing the race card.’ But if you think about it, what is the race card?

“The race card is that, ‘The Man held me down, I had unfair circumstances, and now I wasn’t able to be successful because someone held me down.’

“That’s not true. That’s not reality. I have walked into Tom Ford and someone looking at me like, ‘What are you doing here, you can’t afford nothing in here.’ Well technically I kind of can, if I want to. But that’s our reality. And people subconsciously make those preconceived notions about you before they even know you.”

“I think I’m the only African-American fighter on the roster who can capture the market,” said Woodley

“Certain athletes, they show the UFC, to the fans, that they are marketable. What happens is, the UFC gets behind them. They help push them. I’m a husband, I’m a father of four, I’m an entrepreneur, I’m a gym owner, I’m an actor, I’m an analyst, I’m a stuntman, I’m a Christian. Every avenue you can take it, I have those layers .I grew up in Ferguson. I grew up in gangbanging. I was in a family of 14 in a four-bedroom house, complete dysfunction, and I made a choice to be successful. What is there not to market? I’m fighting like hell. I’m not doing performance-enhancing drugs in my life. … Why would they not want to market me?”

Tyron Woodley is going fulll throttle ! Here's the full article if you want more gems.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/new...l&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_FB1

KtdFzhr.gif

Not the popular thing to admit but I think he's probably right. Generally it ain't easy being black.

In terms of his fighting career he's wrong though. He was an unworthy challenger and the UFC bent over backwards for him to get his title shot.

They never marketed him because prior to winning the title his only note worthy win was DYK.

Not the popular thing to admit but I think he's probably right. Generally it ain't easy being black.

In terms of his fighting career he's wrong though. He was an unworthy challenger and the UFC bent over backwards for him to get his title shot.

They never marketed him because prior to winning the title his only note worthy win was DYK.
" Generally it ain't easy being black." WRONG

He's right. I love when woodley calls out the system. He triggers our good o boy sherdoggers lol.

“That’s not true. That’s not reality. I have walked into Tom Ford and someone looking at me like, ‘What are you doing here, you can’t afford nothing in here.’ Well technically I kind of can, if I want to. But that’s our reality. And people subconsciously make those preconceived notions about you before they even know you.”

Note that the person at Tom Ford didn't actually say these things to Tyron. Tyron deduced that the white dude at Tom Ford is a racist just by analyzing the way he looked at him, and guessed what's going through his head. Impressive.

Lol he aint marketable...Especially after now. Watch what happens to him if he loses to Wonderboy

I dont agree with everything hes saying, however i cant say nothing because im not black, so i havent experienced the issues he has.

I'm a black MMA fan whose been a loyal just bleed fanatic for over ten years and all I hear is "blah, blah, blah mah racism". Not my fighter, he'll get knocked out into irrelevancy one of these days.

Yeah, black guys can't catch a break in sports.

Note that the person at Tom Ford didn't actually say these things to Tyron. Tyron deduced that the white dude at Tom Ford is a racist just by analyzing the way he looked at him, and guessed what's going through his head. Impressive.
Just like how you deduced it was a "white dude" that looked at him without Woodley mentioning race nor gender? The two of you are very claircognizant.

Just like how you deduced it was a "white dude" that looked at him without Woodley mentioning race nor gender? The two of you are very claircognizant.

It must have been a white dude. Tyron is cool with latinos & non-whites, and knows they're not out there to get him.

I just don't think he's achieved what the other champions have yet. He's had a handful of fights, defended the belt once and isn't dominating his competition and putting on instant classic like Robbie Lawler did.

Plus off Tyrone's theory, what about Jon Jones, Anthony Johnson, Urijah Hall, Anderson Silva? They're killing it..

Keep punching Tyrone, love yah & your time will come.

Tyrone to me is like a turd trying to roll itself in glitter.

So basically he's saying "You can't be a successful black man in America because the white man is keeping us down..... well, unless you work hard and don't get involved in crime...... like I did."

So it IS actually possible to be a successful black man if you work hard at it like every other successful person did, regardless of color..... Well, pretty much every rich white person had to make the choice to be successful and work hard at it... So whats the problem?

Interdasting.

Can't wait for this fight to be over so we don't have to hear about Woodley for a while. Someone close to him has to tell him that he is not popular, not because of his race, but because he is just an unlikable guy.

They didn't bend over backwards for him. He was promised a title shot more out of spite for Johnny if anything. He had to wait behind Condit and i think Rory as well before he finally got it.

I like Woodley. There is some truth to what he's saying, but not for the reasons he's saying.
He was right about the NY card. Mecca of hip hop, black champ defending his belt, they could have done more to get the black crowd behind him, and that would have been a perfect fight to get some fans. There's only so much Tyron can do on his own.
But guys like MM not being promoted has absolutely nothing to do with race. No one cares about that division. The entire division isn't promoted.
And what black fighters are really promotable? DC is a nice guy, but he's a goober. Rumble gets some promo, but he doesn't really talk much. Jones is always in trouble. Magny? Larkin? OSP? Brunson? Manuwa? Boringgggg. How would one even promote Black Beast?
I think Aljo Sterling is promotable. He's charismatic, smart, has a gimmick, and seems like a fun guy. But that's about it.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have an anecdote about when one thing in my life wasn't working perfectly, it must be a systematic process at work! There's been plenty of famous black fighters in MMA of great fame. Arguably the greatest, Anderson Silva, is black. There are plenty of white people that go nowhere and disappear very quickly as soon as it is viable (how long did Tim Sylvia remain in the UFC when he started losing?). What a bunch of shit.

Back