WME should put a title fight on FOX

UseARubberGuard

Wrap it up
@Brown
Reaction score
Let's be honest, the UFC is currently short on stars, and even shorter on stars who are available.

They have been fortunate enough to land 3 new, young champions in the past year (Stipe, Amanda, and Cody) who have shown to be nearly guaranteed action fighters; however, they lack the exposure necessary to become a star. I believe it would be in the best interest of the company to take a short term loss, and get one of them in front of millions of people for a potential star making performance.

Conor had many great performances, but it wasn't until he took on Siver, of all people, that the casual fans really got a good look at him. All 3 champions already have a leg up on him, on the basis that they were already seen by many casual fans by virtue of being on a Rousey or CM Punk card.

Personally, I think Cody vs TJ is the best option. It is one of the best fights the UFC can line up this year, it likely won't sell well on PPV, it has a built in story line (that is easily marketable to get fans to watch for free), and it features a fighter (TJ) who casual fans are already familiar with because he has previously fought on FOX.

TL;DR

The UFC has a chance to proactively help create new stars, if they are willing to accept a short term loss.

Thoughts?

I agree. More stacked fox cards with title fights can only increase casuals interesting and also interesting in other networks for the UFC.

Win win.

Action fights don't get you more fans.

Charismatic individuals do.

They are putting Holm vs Geronomo on PPV...doubting they are putting any title fights on FOX anytime soon.

Maybe Mighty Mouse

Action fights don't get you more fans.

Charismatic individuals do.

Conor is as charismatic as they come, but it wasn't until casual fans saw the walk behind the talk that it really mattered.

They are putting Holm vs Geronomo on PPV...doubting they are putting any title fights on FOX anytime soon.

Maybe Mighty Mouse

Unfortunately, I completely agree with you. I just think it would be in their best interest

every fight should have an interim title - important fights should be worth 3-4 interim titles

seriously, every main event has a title fight now, so why not on fox too

Conor is as charismatic as they come, but it wasn't until casual fans saw the walk behind the talk that it really mattered.
No. it was when he rode in a car with Dana. And the UFC poured money into promoting him.

The majority of popular fighters weren't "action fighters", as suggested in OP.

The recent fail of created stars Sage and Page will not help your project
In MMA it is hard to create star because shit can happen too often
Using minor league to build a palmares can be an idea but Miguel Torres proved it wrong for WEC at the time

No. it was when he rode in a car with Dana. And the UFC poured money into promoting him.

The majority of popular fighters weren't "action fighters", as suggested in OP.

Huh? Since when do Conor, Brock, Chuck, Tito, and Rousey not count as action fighters?

Literally the only one you could argue for was GSP, who would be an anomaly

The recent fail of created stars Sage and Page will not help your project
In MMA it is hard to create star because shit can happen too often
Using minor league to build a palmares can be an idea but Miguel Torres proved it wrong for WEC at the time

I feel like a lot of that had to do with trying to force a star out of a developing fighter, as opposed to taking a fighter who had truly entered the top of their game. Sage and Paige are still basically MMA neophytes, where as Cody, Stipe, and Amanda have taken the time to develop into more well rounded competitors.

"Should" they put them on FOX = hell yes

"Will" they = hell no

I actually believed in the beginning that the FOX deal would get alot more quality fights out to mainstream TV , but it has been the exact opposite.

I think we got better free fights back when UFC was on SPIKE network than with this big FOX deal they made.... just like the Reebok deal , it's crud .

did you miss UFC on Fox 1? it set back UFC on Fox for 2 years.

which was fine. they ended up stacking UFC on Fox 2 thru 5 to try to recover some viewers, and i got a lot of sweet free fights out of it. for awhile there, those were better cards than some of the PPVs.

but it fucking bombed, big time.

And not give the champion PPV points? Maybe they would increase their earning potential for fights in the future but its a risk. Best case scenario from the fighter's perspective is to be on the same PPV card as Mcgregor.

which was fine. they ended up stacking UFC on Fox 2 thru 5 to try to recover some viewers, and i got a lot of sweet free fights out of it. for awhile there, those were better cards than some of the PPVs.

It was their fault.. they only aired one fight, talked about it for an hour and a half, and it ended in a minute

It may have been more appealing to the champions if they were still getting sponsored independently but with reebok $$$, no way would they want to forego PPV points.

How did it bomb? I dont understand as the ratings were great/fine but obviously not as good as the debut. Thats the way it works in television. JDS-Cain was simply bigger than all that followed.

Edit- oh you mean the fight itself? Nevermind.. Dana did give some gifs that night though.

I actually believed in the beginning that the FOX deal would get alot more quality fights out to mainstream TV , but it has been the exact opposite.

I think we got better free fights back when UFC was on SPIKE network than with this big FOX deal they made.... just like the Reebok deal , it's crud .

I agree. Especially in the last year, it seems like the UFC has decided that any big star needs to be on a PPV, more than likely on one that is already stacked with plenty of other stars, leaving the cable cards unbelievably weak.

The ratings didn't bomb, but I think the odds of a 1st round KO that doesn't look very damaging are low.

And not give the champion PPV points? Maybe they would increase their earning potential for fights in the future but its a risk. Best case scenario from the fighter's perspective is to be on the same PPV card as Mcgregor.

Best case for the fighter, possibly. But I think this would give the fighters the opportunity to take control of the spotlight if they are willing and able to, instead of being stuck in Conor's shadow at best.

Back