Why would Donald Cerrone overpass Demain Maia for the title shot because hes a bigger name?

'Suga Daddy'

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Whilst I have no doubt that the UFC would pass a rightful contender by in order to make money I don't understand why they would do this. My reasoning behind this is that whilst Cowboy is a fan favourite and a fantastic fighter he's not as popular as many people believe. Maia has a huge jiu-jitsu following and if marketed correctly could bring that audience in. A good example of Maia being a bigger name is they Likes of their pages on Facebook. Maia has around 328,000 whilst Cerrone has a paltry 180,000. That's almost double.

I don't think so. Though Cerrone is more popular amongst the mma community, he hasn't done enough in the WW division to leapfrog Maia. Then there's also his history of how he performs in the big fights.

Facebook likes?
Well yeah read the thing.
I don't think so. Though Cerrone is more popular amongst the mma community, he hasn't done enough in the WW division to leapfrog Maia. Then there's also his history of how he performs in the big fights.
Big MMA reporting sites have talked about it such as bleacher report/team stream

yeah if cerrone beats masvidal, that isnt title shot worthy imo, hed have to have one more fight whilst maia can fight for the belt.

but is masvidal ranked higher than brown? i thought masvidal would have been ranked lower than brown, so it didnt seem like cerrone was progressing in the rankings taking this fight.

Whilst I have no doubt that the UFC would pass a rightful contender by in order to make money I don't understand why they would do this. My reasoning behind this is that whilst Cowboy is a fan favourite and a fantastic fighter he's not as popular as many people believe. Maia has a huge jiu-jitsu following and if marketed correctly could bring that audience in. A good example of Maia being a bigger name is they Likes of their pages on Facebook. Maia has around 328,000 whilst Cerrone has a paltry 180,000. That's almost double.
Cerrone also has 745.000 instagram followers. Demian Maia has 3215, that's almost... more than double at least.

Cerrone is a bigger name than Maia, you can't deny that. And I can understand Maia has more followers on some platforms because he's a BJJ legend and probably everone that does BJJ knows or heard about Maia, that doesn't mean he'll attracht more casual fans. Which is what the UFC is going for.

Don't get me wrong, big Maia fan over, (although big Cerrone nuthugger also) but he hasn't the same appeal to the masses like Cerrone. Cerrone is the all american, beer drinking, extreme sports lover, headkick KO machine fighting everyone. While Maia is the smart, kinda quiet, BJJ wunderkind. And I love seeing Maia fight, but there are more people who like to see Cerrone fight.

Cerrone also has 745.000 instagram followers. Demian Maia has 3215, that's almost... more than double at least.

Cerrone is a bigger name than Maia, you can't deny that. And I can understand Maia has more followers on some platforms because he's a BJJ legend and probably everone that does BJJ knows or heard about Maia, that doesn't mean he'll attracht more casual fans. Which is what the UFC is going for.

Don't get me wrong, big Maia fan over, (although big Cerrone nuthugger also) but he hasn't the same appeal to the masses like Cerrone. Cerrone is the all american, beer drinking, extreme sports lover, headkick KO machine fighting everyone. While Maia is the smart, kinda quiet, BJJ wunderkind. And I love seeing Maia fight, but there are more people who like to see Cerrone fight.
Good way to put it

I thought this was a serious question, until it started talking about Facebook likes meaning something.

Cerrone isn't passing up Maia.

Maia took out Condit in record time while Cerrone got destroyed by RDA and almost knocked out by Matt Brown. He's doing great but he'll be retired within 2 years. It's Maia's shot next.

Ufc hypemachine want wonderboy to be champ because he has hair and is blonde.

No way man, Maias next vs Wonderboy

Woodley will keep the race card thing going vs Cerrone

Maia is the epitome of an Mixed Martial ARTIST. Hypocrite Dana will do anything to not have him main event for a title and especially win it.

UH I mean f you Meryl Streep. This is a f'n art you goof.

Cerrone isn't passing up Maia.

Maia took out Condit in record time while Cerrone got destroyed by RDA and almost knocked out by Matt Brown. He's doing great but he'll be retired within 2 years. It's Maia's shot next.

He was almost KO'd by brown I don't remember.

He was almost KO'd by brown I don't remember.

Yea he got hurt real bad. Brown ain't not joke on the feet anyway so that's not cut on Cerrone or anything but still compared to Maia I can't see him leap frogging for the shot.

Didn't they just give the MW TS to Henderson instead of all 3 MWs who are currently better than Hendo and Bisping? Because it was a cool rematch. Conor got his LW TS without ever defending his FW belt.

If it sells, they'll do it. Other reasons can include injuries, and so on.

You know that you can buy "likes" TS, right?

Maia will be the one to shut Woodley up. Cant wait for this title fight.

Interesting I would have thought Maia and his grinding style would not bring many fans. He definitely deserves a shot after dominating Condit (damn him). Could just be a matter of timing or injury to fighter if he doesn't get the shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back