Why didn't Silva vs Roy Jones have Conor vs mayweather hype?

Eli1015

Martial Artist
@Brown
Reaction score
I remember for a long time Anderson Silva when he was number 1 p4p in mma, talked about boxing Roy Jones jr as one of his biggest dreams. And if I'm not mistaken roy Jones wanted to box Silva. First question. Why didn't it happen? Second. Why didn't it get the media attention that conor vs Floyd is getting? And third. How would the fight have gone?

UFC and boxing fans alike knew Silva would get his baldie polished.

No homo.

New wave of fans believes Conor has a chance boxing against floyd.

Basically Anderson vs Roy was just a cruel joke to most. And merely a fantasy for Anderson(no homo)

I disagree. Silva was the biggest household name at the time, and every boxing fan knows who Roy Jones jr is.
Silva was the biggest name at the time and every boxing fan does know Roy Jones Jr. They still were not as well known, PPV numbers say it all. Silva is my favourite fighter ever but he is not on Conor or Floyds level in terms of popularity and neither is Roy Jones.

roy lost 3 straight back in 2004-2005. c'mon this is a ridiculous thread. roy wasn't floyd ever in terms of fame and silva was never conor and certainly the matchup couldn't be close in terms of attention as this.

I disagree. Silva was the biggest household name at the time, and every boxing fan knows who Roy Jones jr is.
if you disagree you're horribly wrong.

I'm pretty sure nobody actually thinks Conor has a change against Floyd in a boxing match
There are Celeb names claiming Conor can win on air. (Skip bayless, Schuab)

You dont think that the naive casual fans will follow suit?

Roy Jones was already WELL past his prime and didn't strike fear into anyone anymore. Silva caught flack for calling out Roy. Yes Roy was/is a legend, but he was already washed up by then. With that being said, Jones still would have starched the spider and a lot of people knew it.

if you disagree you're horribly wrong.
Okay I disagree to an extent than. What I said does hold true though. During the time Silva was teasing about this year's ago, Anderson was one of the highest PPV draws in mma, and probably to the average person off the street the most know ufc guy. And roy Jones is a legend, and one of the greatest boxers ever. Sure there not conor, mayweather level fame, but I would think that 2 legends from different sports wanting to fight would garner more attention than it did.

Roy jones was well past his prime.
For everyone saying this that's what made it even more interesting. Silva is an MMA fighter with decent boxing, but not to the level of roy Jones. But him being older would have made it more fair.

Silva was the biggest name at the time and every boxing fan does know Roy Jones Jr. They still were not as well known, PPV numbers say it all. Silva is my favourite fighter ever but he is not on Conor or Floyds level in terms of popularity and neither is Roy Jones.
So?

This does not sound like an answer to me.

If they want it to happen they can make it happen. It would not pull the same numbers but Silva also did not care for that.

My guess is that the UFC did not want it to happen. You don't want your best fighter or the face of the UFC to look bad in a boxing fight.

Unless they can at least promote it themselves and cash in.

Roy Jones had been knocked stiff a few times by the time the notion was conceived.

Connor = Much bigger star than Anderson.

Roy in his Prime = just as big as Mayweather until Mayweather started punking all the Mexican fighters on Cinco De Mayo.

If there were Mexican fighters were at Roy's weight, he would have had Floyd paydays, minus the adjustment for inflation.

Roy Jones isn't Floyd Mayweather, and Anderson Silva isn't Conor McGregor.

Quite frankly.

But in all fairness.....Prime Roy Jones would have absolutely MURDERED a Prime Floyd Mayweather........Prime Anderson Silva would have absolutely MURDERED a Prime Conor McGregor.

Silva would have done okay actually. Around that time Roy got stopped in under a round by Danny Green, who is a decent boxer, but a bit of a bum... Roy was a shell of his former self.

Anderson would probably beat Danny with a years training specifically for boxing.

So?

This does not sound like an answer to me.

If they want it to happen they can make it happen. It would not pull the same numbers but Silva also did not care for that.

My guess is that the UFC did not want it to happen. You don't want your best fighter or the face of the UFC to look bad in a boxing fight.

Unless they can at least promote it themselves and cash in.
It doesn't explain why the media wasn't as interested in two guys who aren't as popular? I think it explains it all.

It doesn't explain why the media wasn't as interested in two guys who aren't as popular? I think it explains it all.
This is during a time where boxing was alot bigger than it is today. Roy Jones vs Silva would have done atleast 800k-1m PPV. Keep in mind Silva was undefeated in the ufc at the time.

Back