Will a fighter get KO'd if he does this?

OrigFan255

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I have never been KO'd and don't know the answer to this.

I have heard a KO explained that it happens when a fighter is caught on the jaw and, the jaw bone moves back, hits a nerve and, shuts down your brain activity. Not sure if correct reason, Rogan explained it this way years ago.

Anyway, if a fighter was to clamp down on their mouthpiece so the jaw could not move, would this negate a KO from occuring?
I also realize that doing this would make a fighter more susceptible to a broken jaw...It would be like an unchecked kick.

Anyone know the answer? Do they teach fighters to clamp down?

KOs happen because the brain gets shaken up inside the skull. Biting down would do absolutely nothing to reduce the impact of a punch.

Yes it is true. That's why Chinese Martial Arts are superior, they've studied pressure nerve points for centuries, a legit Kung Fu master can just pinch the "knockout nerve" and shut down even a good UFC fighter like Cain Velazques

There is no nerve in your jaw that shuts down your brain. That's all nonsense.

There is a nerve, however, that tells your brain you have pain in your jaw from a broken bone or tooth.

anatomy-of-the-mandible.jpg

Last edited:
doesn't help. Also jaws don't break that easily.

A punch to the jaw causes the head to whip around and the brain gets shaken around inside the skull. Are you sure Rogan was the one who said there was a magic knockout nerve? He usually isn't stupid about these things.

No, that wouldn't help, though it's not uncommon to hear that somebody "bit down on their mouthpiece and went in swinging" or somesuch.

sounds legit will take my mouthpiece to the bar and challenge dudes to try and knock me out.

A KO happens because your brain slammed against the inside of your skull

Maybe you'll enjoy this read. http://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/sports/a6372/boxing-knockout-sports-science/

A KO is a quite severe concussion. It does not need to involve the jaw. In combat sports, many KOs are blows to the jaw because mechanically it's the site on the skull that can impose the most torque in the brain tissue.

I don't have links for this, but the deaths that occurred in boxing history were often powerful blows to the jaw that damaged the brain stem beyond survivable.

So, biting the mouthpiece is already done. But as you fight and start breathing through your mouth, it's not something you can keep constantly. And even if you're biting, and the blow hits the jaw...it will torque the brain the same way, concuss, if the concussion is severe enough, lights out, KO.

A KO happens because your brain slammed against the inside of your skull
Also parts of the brain "slide relative to one another". Upon impact, different parts of the brain decelerate differently, which shears brain tissue and causes diffuse axonal damage.

it's not a great idea to be punched like that.

You can get knocked out from strikes to the temple, the neck, the bridge of the nose and even the forehead. The chin is a known weak point but it's not necessarily linked to getting knocked out.

It's one of those things nobody knows the actual answer for, because as far as I know no university has undertook a study where they knock people unconscious whilst doing a real-time MRI scan on them. Not that much is known about the actual mechanics of a knockout.

There is a major nerve bundle that goes through your jaw and causing a large trauma to that nerve would cause a big shock to your central nervous system.

That combined with the shock to your brain (because that will always take a rattle when you're hit in the face) could possibly contribute to you losing consciousness. The theory is fairly sound, but short of the MRI knockout study all we have is anecdotal evidence.

Commentators often point out when fighters start breathing through their mouth that it'll make them more susceptible to being ko'd, but that's not necessarily because an open mouth leaves them more vulnerable. Usually when a fighter is breathing through his mouth it's because he's tired and his heart is already struggling to get enough oxygen around his body.

I used to box when I was younger and remember being told by the coaches to keep your mouth shut but don't bite down too hard because if you get hit like that you can end up damaging your teeth. He said they could get forced into their sockets too hard which causes the nerves to die.

What I never understood was why someone who has been rocked to the verge of KO often smiles after being hit.

You can get knocked out from strikes to the temple, the neck, the bridge of the nose and even the forehead. The chin is a known weak point but it's not necessarily linked to getting knocked out.

that sums it up. The chin just offers the site of maximal torque for the skull. But any severe enough blow will concuss. If the concussion results in loss of consciousness, combat sports call it a KO.

But they are concussions. I've gone lights out from a blow to the forehead in a car crash...that sucked.

The shockwave absorbed by the jaw goes to the brain, biting on mousepiece(prevents mild concussions during light sparrings) does nothing to prevent a KO. Those who have a stronger neck muscle can absorb some of the impact and thus have a "stronger" chin. Every time a person takes a strong hit, his jawbone cracks a little, and becomes more susceptible to concussions and permanent brain injuries.

No, that wouldn't help, though it's not uncommon to hear that somebody "bit down on their mouthpiece and went in swinging" or somesuch.
I always thought they meant it as activating adrenaline and pray for a hail mary.

Back