Punishment Fights (Matchmaking Wise)

Fahrenheit1221

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
What were instances of the UFC giving a fighter an opponent where it was clear that they were punishing them for either a performance, something they said, missing weight, leaving the org, contract issues, etc.?

I am struggling to think of some but I remember Roger Huerta got thrown to the wolves near the end of his UFC tenure. I forget what it was about I don't know if it was about Sports Illustrated or him being a diva or what but I remember he said some things and then he got multiple vicious match ups and even on a losing streak his fights either strayed as brutal or even got more challenging.

I know there are more instances. Come to think of it... wasn't Machida/Ortiz basically a punishment fight?

I know there are plenty of others. Feel free to chime in!

Marcus Brimage got fed to Conor McGregor, Cody Garbrandt and Jimmie Rivera. Poor guy.

When they made BJ fight El Pantera...<{hmmm}>

#GUERNICAbless

I thought Gastelum was being punished by getting Kennedy but.. I was wrong.

Bryan Barbarena
Subs their golden boy (Sage) then gets thrown to a legit undefeated prospect

...Too bad for them that he won that fight too
bork1}bork1}bork1}bork1}bork1}bork1}bork1}

I thought Gastelum was being punished by getting Kennedy but.. I was wrong.
Holy shit same. I was so dreading that fight. I am a Gastelum fan who expected a snoozefest either way and K-1 Gastelum was born.

Well Andrei Arlovski's last fight on his contract in 2008 was against then undefeated Jake O'Brien on the undercard.

Rory MacDonald vs Wonderboy Thompson

They made Rory Macdonald fight Wonderboy on the last fight of his contract.

Ronda vs. Holm
Ronda vs. Amanda
Next up
Ronda vs. Cyborg
Ronda vs. EMT

Anyone Vs. Rumble.

Ending up like this...

[<dunn]

...Always makes for a good highlight when promoting PPVs.

i wouldve liked to have said Gastelum/Kennedy, but fat Kelvin beat the shit out of Tim sadly

What were instances of the UFC giving a fighter an opponent where it was clear that they were punishing them for either a performance, something they said, missing weight, leaving the org, contract issues, etc.?

I am struggling to think of some but I remember Roger Huerta got thrown to the wolves near the end of his UFC tenure. I forget what it was about I don't know if it was about Sports Illustrated or him being a diva or what but I remember he said some things and then he got multiple vicious match ups and even on a losing streak his fights either strayed as brutal or even got more challenging.

I know there are more instances. Come to think of it... wasn't Machida/Ortiz basically a punishment fight?

I know there are plenty of others. Feel free to chime in!

Michael Johnson was fed to Kabib. Not as punishment but I felt bad for Johnson when he called out Kabib.

Seems like they're punishing AA for something by giving him Ngannou.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back