"Making Weight"

Anon Von Ymous

Say something stupid and I will ridicule you
@Green
Reaction score
What is it with people thinking a fighter HAS to make 145, 155, 170 etc rather than weighing in lower than the weight limit. It is that after all, a limit, not an exact weight.

Heavyweights don't all weigh in at 265, but for some reason it seems to be some sort of absurd necessity in every other weight class. People made a massive deal about McGregor weighing in at 168 but if you've not had to cut any weight then that's an advantage in itself.

Plenty of guys dick on bigger training partners who are at their walk-around weight so I don't get why it's suddenly a huge disadvantage when you're facing a bigger guy who's depleted and dehydrated.

Silly thread deserves a silly response:

Screen-Shot-2014-06-05-at-7.33.51-PM-493x350.jpg

Wait... There's nothing silly bout titties.

Silly thread deserves a silly response:

Screen-Shot-2014-06-05-at-7.33.51-PM-493x350.jpg

Wait... There's nothing silly bout titties.

ts is retarded

What's silly/retarded about it? Genuine question.

Some heavyweights are fighting with a 30lbs weight deficit, but people shit their pants about the manlets having a 3lbs weight advantage. I'm just curious what people's thoughts are about why it seems to be such a big deal with the lower weight classes.

I says ... Pardon ?

The whole fucking idea of cutting weight is about going to extremes to try to gain an advantage. These fighters are losing 20 - 30 lbs to make weight. Full fucking Auschwitz mode.

But, you can't understand why they don't come in 3, or 4 pounds under the limit ?

Have you ever actually seen any weigh-in video ?

raw

TS is dumb, but the rest of the thread is very good.

What's silly/retarded about it? Genuine question.

Some heavyweights are fighting with a 30lbs weight deficit, but people shit their pants about the manlets having a 3lbs weight advantage. I'm just curious what people's thoughts are about why it seems to be such a big deal with the lower weight classes.

Bodyweight percentage. Also the majority of most heavyweights fight at 240ish. Freaks that have to cut to 265 belong in the SHW division, which is a division that if there had been plenty of talent there would have been incorporated by the UFC by now.

Also:

boob-gifs-vs-butt-gifs-122.gif

I says ... Pardon ?

The whole fucking idea of cutting weight is about going to extremes to try to gain an advantage. These fighters are losing 20 - 30 lbs to make weight. Full fucking Auschwitz mode.

But, you can't understand why they don't come in 3, or 4 pounds under the limit ?

Have you ever actually seen any weigh-in video ?

raw
I know that. My point is that it's not always necessarily an advantage, Ben Henderson beating Brandon Thatch is a prime example. Not to mention plenty of professionals and fight commentators etc have all said it's better not to cut weight and stay healthy. I've had a few amateur fights myself and I cut to LW to have a weight/strength advantage, which I did, but I was fucking shattered by the end of the second round. After that I switched to WW which was my walk-around weight and I still had a strength/weight advantage because I was able to go harder in the weight room without worrying about a weight cut, I weighed in 4lbs underweight and still out-muscled the guy but I was in a lot better shape for the fight.

I know that. My point is that it's not always necessarily an advantage, Ben Henderson beating Brandon Thatch is a prime example. Not to mention plenty of professionals and fight commentators etc have all said it's better not to cut weight and stay healthy. I've had a few amateur fights myself and I cut to LW to have a weight/strength advantage, which I did, but I was fucking shattered by the end of the second round. After that I switched to WW which was my walk-around weight and I still had a strength/weight advantage because I was able to go harder in the weight room without worrying about a weight cut, I weighed in 4lbs underweight and still out-muscled the guy but I was in a lot better shape for the fight.

Its definitely possible and definitely brings in some advantages to the table like conditioning, and overal better fitness. Look at Frankie for example, who cut zero weight for 155 and actually won the title there. But not everybody is Frankie and can pull it off. It also heavily depends on the style of fighter. Eventually youre gonna run into someone that cuts a lot of weight but isnt depleted, and he's gonna maul your ass.

giphy.gif

TS are you new to this ? do you understand weight cutting and divisions ?

Its definitely possible and definitely brings in some advantages to the table like conditioning, and overal better fitness. Look at Frankie for example, who cut zero weight for 155 and actually won the title there. But not everybody is Frankie and can pull it off. It also heavily depends on the style of fighter. Eventually youre gonna run into someone that cuts a lot of weight but isnt depleted, and he's gonna maul your ass.
A decent response, thanks.

True, I can see what you mean, having said that those guys seem to be far and few between. The guys that do cut a lot of weight and are particularly strong for the weight class nearly always fade early on. Nate fighting at WW was an interesting one for me because he had great cardio in comparison and was able to increase his punching power, the only times he struggled were against strong grapplers but he's notoriously weak against wrestlers regardless.

Strong grapplers seem to do well in a higher weight class than what they would typically cut to as the biggest difference seems to be their cardio improvement rather than a strength disadvantage. Yet grapplers tend to be the ones that cut the most weight (habit from wrestling tradition of cutting a shit tonne of weight maybe?).

TS are you new to this ? do you understand weight cutting and divisions ?
Sometimes I wonder why I bother with these threads. I was brief in the main OP because I'd like to think people are able to think for a few seconds rather than jumping to a "TS is retarded" post.

My point is a lot of guys struggle like fuck when they're cutting (particularly heavily-muscled wrestlers), so why don't they fight closer to their natural weight or the weight they perform best at, even if it's part way through a weight class. These guys are still usually stronger than people at that higher weight class, with the exception of the grapplers who cut a lot of weight to get to that weight class, but as I said previously they tend to struggle with cardio so they can at least negate the strength advantage in the grappling better than the strikers of that weight class and would have better cardio to out-last them and potentially even out-grapple them in the later rounds.

Back