Sakuraba or BJ Penn?

StraightleftKO

2 belt champion
@Brown
Reaction score
Who is the bigger legend in MMA? Both of these guys have fought killers and many fighters above their weight class. Both had great submissions in their prime. Who would take it in a fight prime vs prime?

282de6b9010cccdef7b1af3a23794d7a.jpg

I'm a huge fan of Saku, but Penn would beat him obviously either in their prime or past their prime.

Penn has the greater accomplishments, but Saku was a beast. A guy who shouldve been a LW/WW yet had wins over Renzo, Rampage Jackson, Kevin Randleman, Shamrock, Newton, Vitor Belfort, Mezger....all guys who held UFC Championships at HW or LHW (aside from Newton who was the UFC WW Champ)

BJ had a more successful career. Saku would've murdered Penn though

Saku,

Fought under the bright lights of the PRIDE stage.

He fought the best LHW's in Pride and beat some..

He fought Mirko ffs..

Bigger icon, cooler character, more unique fighter..

Really, really close. Sakuraba was amazing, but he was still in his prime when he ran into the buzzsaw called Wanderlei Silva. Saku could never get past Wanderlei, and the beatings he took affected his other fights.

So BJ had about ten years where he was on top of the MMA world. But Saku only had about five. And that's the main difference - BJ had a longer run at or near the top.

Penn.

Saku ducked the man that ko "The Fedor" who could fight at 185 pounds no problem.

HendoDan1.jpg

i have to pick Sakuraba

id rather watch a Saku fight any day over BJ, i respect him more as a man and fighter.

Penn for being two weight champ. When he was at his best I remember Fedor and Anderson both saying he was the greatest.

Penn was amazing at his best, outclassed people on the feet and the ground and with unstoppable TDD he controlled the fights. His TDD would mean he would have schooled Saku head to head I think.

Saku is right up there with the legends though, a welterweight who beat Belfort, rampage, randleman etc is so impressive. His open weight fights were harder and more frequent than Penn's for sure.

Two legends who are both really underrated by the TUF generation of fans

Sakuraba had a larger impact on mma as a whole. There is a good chance that there would be no mma today (seriously) if it wasn't for Sakuraba. His star power lifting Pride to absurd popularity was the first time pro athlete money was ever brought into this sport. Million dollar payouts and endorsements were unheard of before Pride.

Penn for being two weight champ. When he was at his best I remember Fedor and Anderson both saying he was the greatest.
My impression at the time was that Anderson was saying that as a passive-agressive slap at GSP.

Saku hands down, people say BJ fought anyone which is true...but Saku fought ANYONE. Fought goliaths like Randleman, CC and Igor.

I like Saku but Bj has better hands and a comparable ground game so BJ.

Back