Is there a rule change with knees yet? (3 point stance)

Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
To my understanding they were gonna do something with that in 2017?

Can anyone confirm and also what were the details of it ?

I thought there had been a change recently and some ref didn't realize in some Prelim fight.

I know sherdoggers were Bitching about something like that recently

FIghts will now be contested under bj penn rules : To the death

"3 point stance" has never been the definition of a grounded fighter

Going forward, a grounded fighter is either both hands/fists touching the ground, or any other body part. If a fighter has a single hand down, they can be kneed and kicked to the head.

This is really unfair to the fans that love yelling out "KNEEEEEEES".

New rule is that putting a hand down doesn't make kicks/knees to the head illegal.

I thought there had been a change recently and some ref didn't realize in some Prelim fight.

I know sherdoggers were Bitching about something like that recently
That was a misconception by Joe Rogan. Idk Wtf joe was thinking. A fighter had one knee and one foot down and Joe was convinced that he wasn't a "downed opponent." Ref was right the whole time. "3 points of contact" was never a part of the rules. It was always "anything other than the soles of the feet."

New rule is that putting a hand down doesn't make kicks/knees to the head illegal.

That was a misconception by Joe Rogan. Idk Wtf joe was thinking. A fighter hand one knee and one foot down and Joe was convinced that he wasn't a "downed opponent." Ref was right the whole time.

ah ok. did not see the fight, just saw lots of threads about it after.

"3 point stance" has never been the definition of a grounded fighter

Going forward, a grounded fighter is either both hands/fists touching the ground, or any other body part. If a fighter has a single hand down, they can be kneed and kicked to the head.
I believe a grounded fighter is both feet and both hands on the ground, both feet but one hand isn't grounded. A fighter on their knee is grounded. Tim Means kneed Alex Olivera in his most recent fight and it was a NC but could have been a DQ under the old system. I believe the rules changed as of Jan 1 and that fight was Dec 30 so it was really confusing. I was there live so didn't hear any of the pbp explaination.

Grounded meant any part of the body aside from the bottom of the both feet touching the mat meant you were grounded.

Now they've added that if you put ONE hand on the mat, you are still standing.

Yes the rule was garbage, now its only slightly less garbage, but it stops people playing the 'game' and simply putting one finger/hand on the mat to stop knees from standing snapdown/chinstrap position, now they'll put 2 hands down and be grounded...

I believe a grounded fighter is both feet and both hands on the ground, both feet but one hand isn't grounded. A fighter on their knee is grounded. Tim Means kneed Alex Olivera in his most recent fight and it was a NC but could have been a DQ under the old system. I believe the rules changed as of Jan 1 and that fight was Dec 30 so it was really confusing. I was there live so didn't hear any of the pbp explaination.
It could have been a DQ. Ref ruled it a NC because it was he said it was unintentional. The knee was totally intentional, but he didn't realize he was breaking the rules. It was pretty confusing.

Grounded meant any part of the body aside from the bottom of the both feet touching the mat meant you were grounded.

Now they've added that if you put ONE hand on the mat, you are still standing.

Yes the rule was garbage, now its only slightly less garbage, but it stops people playing the 'game' and simply putting one finger/hand on the mat to stop knees from standing snapdown/chinstrap position, now they'll put 2 hands down and be grounded...
Yeah, but at least with two hands down they cannot be doing anything offensive from that position. To work out of the front headlock, they need hands. The second they lift a hand it's open season.

Yeah, but at least with two hands down they cannot be doing anything offensive from that position. To work out of the front headlock, they need hands. The second they lift a hand it's open season.
True for the most part - you can to a degree re-shoot, like attempt an Iranian or at least stop the knees momentarily until they decide to punch or try to take the back.

They should do away with the rule and make it knees to the head at any time though, or change the 'grounded' to really only when they are completely turtled and both shins/knees and forearms/elbows are on the mat simultanously

6.gif

The rule change was to stop situations like this. Fighters were gaming the system putting a hand down to classify themselves as downed purely to stifle/limit their opponent offensively while stalling in these type of positions. Protecting themselves from anything significant while not having to risk anything to improve position w/o a ref break.

It got so bad in some fights that fighters were practically baiting fouls by putting hands up and down esp. in positions where the opponent isn't capable of tracking it.

Now to benefit from being a grounded opponent you have to actually put yourself in a clear disadvantage to prevent your opponent from landing legal knees and have to choose between trying to better your position or conceding it to eliminate a weapon of your opponent.

Hopefully it'll add to the pace of fights, force more scrambles, and we'll have one less stalling tactic for good.

Last edited:
It's kind of dumb that you can punch and kick someone in the head as hard as you can but you can't do a downward elbow. You can't knee them in the head when they're on the ground but you can punch and elbow them as hard as you can. Who even makes these stupid rules?

True for the most part - you can to a degree re-shoot, like attempt an Iranian or at least stop the knees momentarily until they decide to punch or try to take the back.

They should do away with the rule and make it knees to the head at any time though, or change the 'grounded' to really only when they are completely turtled and both shins/knees and forearms/elbows are on the mat simultanously
I agree that kicks and knees should always be allowed.

Each commission has to adopt it. Some can do that more easily than others. Nevada looks like they'll adopt in within a few months, they brought it up at the last meeting.

Knees to the head of grounded opponent should be legalize, it makes MMA fun again.

And stomp kicks and soccer kicks to the head of a grounded opponent should be also be allowed.

Back