Let's not forget BJ Penn went 1-6-1 since the PRIME age of 31

PrideJitZoo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been reading the comments on Sherdog the last couple of days I can't stand the amount of delusional posters on here. Quit blaming his lost against Yair because his age!

BJ Penn hasn't won a fight since the age of 32 and went 1-6-1 since age 31. These are prime years. He was at his best and he got smoked by better fighters.

BJ Penn did not lose against Yair because he's 38. He lost because he's not that great of a MMA fighter to begin with. He wouldn't have won that fight even if he was younger.

Some people age fast.

BJ was already an old man at 31..

Let's not forget that GSP was so scared to lose (got his ass beat vs Hendricks) that he retired at the prime age of 32.

Let that sink in GSP fans...

I said prior to the Yair fight that Penn wasnt that good

I based that on actually watching his fights, i watched him fight Kenny Florian, very underwhelming

A two-division world champion was "not that great of a fighter."

Only on Sherdog.

there should really be an iq test taken before starting threads.

ts whats your jib with bj penn. like what is really your agenda behind it. did he fuck your girl and make you eat his semen out of her vag?

With USADA prime is now lowerd to below 30s. I would say 25-30 is now prime age in MMA without steroids.

i don't see how you a legend with a 16-11 record

Because you very likely did not follow the sport during Penn's real prime. BJ was always a front-runner type fighter, but his skill set was flat out ahead of everyone's and him moving up and beating Hughes is one of the biggest wins any fighter can lay claim to, relatively speaking.

Yes his record is not great, but you have to take context into account. I'm not even a BJ fan, but if the UFC kept the LW division during his prime, and he stayed there, he'd likely have had a 4+ year unbeaten streak. He was that far ahead of every other LW.

Damn. I'm not even a Penn fan and used to argue endlessly with the nuts that thought he would beat Georges, but the man IS a legend of the sport and his legacy is defined by more than a record.

Erik Morales was a shot mess by 29.

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

LW Champ
Moved up in weight to defeat the WW champ, a man who was very dominant and considered unbeatable at the time.
Moved up to fight MACHIDA at 205!!!! And fought him to a decision!
Moved up to WW again to take GSP to a very close decision

BJ is the epitome of "just scrap" He never played it safe by trying to pick easy opponents. He did not hesitate to move up in weight to give the fans what they wanted to see, even though he was putting himself at a huge disadvantage. He never stalled or fought "safe" to get the decision victory. Contrast that with GSP's career and it will become painfully obvious why BJ is so loved and respected around here.

Was he perfect? No. He did suffer from laziness at times. Hence the phrase "motivated BJ" Because motivated BJ was an absolute monster.

So yeah, go look up his record and judge his career based on the numbers alone. That's like saying Randy Couture sucked (19-11), or Sakuraba (26-17) sucked.

Real fans watch fights, not fight finder.

Lets be honest , his "prime " was when he beat Hughes the first time and still had hair. By the time he beat a washed up Hughes the second time he too was already DONE. Beating washed up Diego Samchez was the last fether in,his.cap

Back