Let's make some things clear :

dontlaugh

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
If a fighter is caught rushing, he did more than half the job to be knocked out or knocked down. Obviously, some guys hit hard. but please, let's stop crediting most of these situations to the puncher or the guy's chin only.

It works both ways, some punches seem so weak, that most fans quickly go with "Oh his chin is cracked." "He is chinny, can't take a punch".

No. If the dude circled the wrong way, got caught rushing, got caught with his neck stiff while walking backwards or trying to move out laterally, is most certainly a knockdown or a KO. it DOESN'T require much power to make it happen in these situations.

Examples : Silva dropping Griffin, Barboza being dropped by Cerrone's jab, kinda forgotten but Bendo caught Nate moving and knocked him down too.

Also, there are situations where it happens and most fans will go ballistic crediting the fighter's punching power. Needless to say that Aldo vs Conor is a recent example, Whatever punch conor threw at that moment, would hurt Aldo badly, no matter how powerful. Same thing against Alvarez. Those weren't the hardest punches in LW history, well timed, well placed, accurate and as the opponent was moving = more than enough to do serious damage.

let's take that in consideration and try to stop discrediting some fighter's chins and hyping the fuck outta someone's power. Especially in divisions like Lightweight to Bantamweight.

Also, half the time you think the guy has a granite chin, maybe it isn't that. Maybe he's well balanced, doesn't rush into hands and keeps himself at good distance so punches don't really hit him in the proper angle with enough power.

Of course the clash is harder when you run in to it

So we shouldn't think Conor has a hard punch and we shouldn't think Jose has a weak chin.
Got it ts.

TS apparently failed math. What a terrible thread.

You are right. It's about neck strength more than chin density.

This is why when I'm driving the wrong way in traffic and I'm about to go head on with another car, I stop and put it in reverse. The impact isn't as bad.

You are right. It's about neck strength more than chin density.
Right ?

If you're in a bad position to receive a strike, no matter how powerful, it will fuck you up.

But for MMA fans is either "OH HE'S A FUCKING MONSTER HARDEST PUNCHER EVER" or the guy is instantly a glass chin (despite a good part of these KO's coming from shots where the neck would absorve most of the impact)

I'm not sure you succeeded in making one thing clear.

But I liked the title. I guess I expected more.

Also, half the time you think the guy has a granite chin, maybe it isn't that. Maybe he's well balanced, doesn't rush into hands and keeps himself at good distance so punches don't really hit him in the proper angle with enough power.
You make a good point here that MMA fans are unaware of.

Perfect example: Choi vs Swanson.

Everyone credits Choi's "iron jaw" but the real reason he was able to take all those shots was because he saw EVERYTHING coming. The placement of his head was excellent. It never got out of place.

If you can see a shot coming, you can take it. Even if it breaks your face.

This is why when I'm driving the wrong way in traffic and I'm about to go head on with another car, I stop and put it in reverse. The impact isn't as bad.
So you drive in the wrong way on purpose ?

I just duck my head so the other car can go over my car. More than one way to skin some pussy.

Fixed the title for the whiny kids trying to be funny with the math jokes

Conor has a truckload of knockouts. He clearly has a lot of power too. How do you explain him seating Diaz on his ass like 8 times? Diaz wasn't running into anything

Right ?

If you're in a bad position to receive a strike, no matter how powerful, it will fuck you up.

But for MMA fans is either "OH HE'S A FUCKING MONSTER HARDEST PUNCHER EVER" or the guy is instantly a glass chin (despite a good part of these KO's coming from shots where the neck would absorve most of the impact)

Jokes aside MMA fans are as simple as a Trump lover. Don't expect them, en masse, to ever make much sense or appreciate subtleties. GIve them 20 yrs and see where they are then.....

chin is cracked weak, weak chin ducking manlet exposed lol just lol roflmao panic tap coward glass jaw was never good A level athlete terrible boxing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back