Fighters who got the most or least from their natural skill?

TheNinja

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I'd say some of the fighters who could have been better if there were dedicated or handled things different. Some wasted potential here IMO even though they all did well, they could have been simply amazing.

BJ Penn
Jon Jones (still pending)
Alex E
Cain

Fighters who got the very most out of their talent level through sheer determination. Not the most skilled or talented but tons of heart.

Rich Franklin
Forrest
Meisha
Fitch

I'd actually say Jon Jones has made the MOST of his raw talent during fights

Fighters who got the very most out of their talent level through sheer determination. Not the most skilled or talented but tons of heart.

Rich Franklin
Forrest
Meisha

Fitch
Fuck yes! I wouldn't say they aren't skilled though but lack athleticism/natural gifts, Bisping and Werdum may fall in the same cateogory.

If anything you could argue they're more "skilled" than the more athletically talented fighters they beat because they didn't have the athleticism to rely on and had to overcome it with skill.

I'd say Bisping is the posterboy for hard work paying off. He got the maximum out of his talent.

Well done buddeh

Randy Couture gets my vote for most of his natural abilities, and always LOVE me a Joe (spelling Lowson) fight even though he doesn't look the part.

Three fighters I was sure would dominate but. . . .
Kevin Randleman,
Shalorus (spelling "camel toe")
Roger Gracie

Guys who got the most out of hard work.

Randy Coture

Jens Pulver

Clay Guida... never a champ, but has beaten a few, some classic JBG stuff early too.

What's natural skill? Like came in with no MMA training? Lesnar win a belt with under like 2 years training right?

Tank Abbott doesn't come off as someone that trained all at, all natural

what exactly is penns natural ability? putting his leg behind his head?

Fedor Emilanenko, best mindset and natural ability i have ever seen.

Raw talent belongs to Jon Jones and Demetrious Johnson.

what exactly is penns natural ability? putting his leg behind his head?

Believe it or not, that kind of insane flexibility actually makes it pretty goddamn hard for someone to pass your guard.

Fuck yes! I wouldn't say they aren't skilled though but lack athleticism/natural gifts, Bisping and Werdum may fall in the same cateogory.

If anything you could argue they're more "skilled" than the more athletically talented fighters they beat because they didn't have the athleticism to rely on and had to overcome it with skill.
Sorry but Forrest and Meisha being more skilled than their opponents isn't going to sell, we've seen them fight.

Sorry but Forrest and Meisha being more skilled than their opponents isn't going to sell, we've seen them fight.
Athleticism isn't skill, them beating more visually impressive opponents indicates they might be more "skilled".

Hunto went from being random guy fighting in front of a bar to world kickboxing champ on basically raw natural talent. And in a very short amount of time. He could have stayed at the top of the heap there for a long time imo if he had trained instead of playing CS 60 a week, going on meth benders or gambling to the point of bankruptcy.

Back