Stipe Miocic Says Payouts For Alistair Overeem Fight Were a “Slap in the Face”

DaRealMVP

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
“You’re making money off me in my hometown, and you’re giving the man that’s a challenger who’s never won the title in the UFC, you’re giving him more money?

“It definitely should change. But the fact that my challenger made more money than me in my last fight was just kind of a slap in the face.”

___I don't know why these fighters don't understand that the UFC is in the entertainment business and you get paid by your popularity. Although Stipe is the champ, Alistair has been fighting a lot longer and is know world wide. The UFC probably had to put on that fight in his hometown just to get him to $600K. IMO

HHUECoM.jpg

Well said TS. I would add that drawing in hometown is nothing but a few extra seats.

Drawing in PPV is where the money is at.

It's really a joke when your HW champion can't make seven digits per fight. In boxing there are easily at least 6 or 7 HWs with 1m+ purses.

Last edited:
In all fairness, Overeem is a "bigger name" and has been fighting longer than Stipe, thus why he's getting paid more. However, Stipe should be getting good money. To my knowledge, Stipe got $600,000 (payout) for his fight against Overeem. That's not too bad. Stipe will get more eventually. Stipe is not going to get McGregor money but $600,000 plus a fight (not including a win bonus) isn't that bad.

Fighters could actually make more money betting on themself. All of them 1000 percent sure in the win. Where are those no brainer bets?

Overeem was worth it when he first signed with the UFC. They definitely overpaid to re-up his contract but the UFC wanted to make sure he didn't flip to Bellator

we host fight nights at my house for all ppv's.stipe puts butts in seats since that war with dos santos

Fighters could actually make more money betting on themself. All of them 1000 percent sure in the win. Where are those no brainer bets?
It is irrelevant. He's talking about the UFC's pay, smartass

Overeem has been competing at an elite level for 13 or so years, Miocic like 2-3 years. Of course Overeem deserves more!

CM Punk made about as much for his first fight as the HW champion lol.

I understand his gripe but overeem even at this stage in his career should be making bank.
Overeem is a combat legend. Won about every title their is.
He laid the work to be paid well for almost 2 decades.

Stipe is the hw champion but is not anywhere near the notoriety in the fight game.

It feels like stipe has only fought a few years

It's really a joke when your HW champion can't make seven digits per fight. In boxing there are easily at least 6 or 7 HWs with 1m+ purses.
People can't rap their heads around the fact that the UFC is a business first, sport second. Fact is Stipe isn't the biggest draw, I don't know why but hes not. Alot of this talk going around since Conor arrived everyone thinks they deserve his payouts. Conors last 6 fights have had his opponents made the highest pays of their careers, only because people wanted to see Conor fight. Same goes for Brock, CM punk, Ronda. If fighters want more damn money be worth more to the company, facts are facts.

Overeem was (and maybe still is) the bigger global draw, with a much more established career in combat sports. He was already headlining or co-headlining cards when Stipe had just started fighting...and while "never won the title in the UFC" may be true, Overeem holds wins over FIVE men who have held the HW title, so it is hardly surprising that he was paid more for their fight.

anyway, Stipe is not dumb and he knows all of this. I am pretty sure he is just talking to ensure his future pay days are better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back