Mad Respect for BJ Penn... along with Anderson Silva

5crew

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
BJ Penn have always been a legend since 10 year ago. While I've always been impressed by him, I must admit I never used the word respect on him until this fight. I was shocked at how flappy he was even at 145 and he honestly look way older than his current age.

He took bombs after bombs that would have KOed many young fighters in 145lb. I was legit rooting for him after seeing him take so many head kicks, hoping he lands a hail merry KO like Big Nog did to Brendan Schaub.

I fear the same will happen to Anderson Silva on the next event. Getting TKO/KOed on the 2nd round or even the first by these new prospects. Silva obviously lost his speed as evidenced in his last 4 or so fights. But he can still pack a sniper shot and KO Brunson if the latter gets too hasty going in for a kill.

Man... Father time have killed legends.

BJ is closer to 40 now than 35, time to put the gloves and trunks in a box in the closet and only take out to show your kids during storytime in a few years. Dude has had more accomplishments to be proud about than most of us, fighting anymore will only lead to sustained head trauma as the Yair fight did.

Hopefully Andy beats Brunson and retires, gonna be nervous for the fight but I have faith Andy can take him out.

BJ is closer to 40 now than 35, time to put the gloves and trunks in a box in the closet and only take out to show your kids during storytime in a few years. Dude has had more accomplishments to be proud about than most of us, fighting anymore will only lead to sustained head trauma as the Yair fight did.

He hanged his glove up at least twice now for what I remember. I think it's the warrior spirit among these old fighters that make them get out of retirement and wishes to compete again. Same goes for Fedor. Neither of them need the cash. They simply wishes to fight and test themselves. We as fan, only hope for the best in the result and ultimately health.

I have always believe that fighters that "takes one to land one" will suffer the most. Likewise to those with granite chin will suffer the most ultimately.

People like Roy Nelson, Mark Hunt, Dan Henderson. BJ Penn, Frankie Edgar. Hell even Chris Leben.

GSP doesn't have the best causal fan fighting style, but it's the most intelligent and beneficial to his own health after he retire. Same with Dominic Cruz.

BJ Penn have always been a legend since 10 year ago. While I've always been impressed by him, I must admit I never used the word respect on him until this fight. I was shocked at how flappy he was even at 145 and he honestly look way older than his current age.

He took bombs after bombs that would have KOed many young fighters in 145lb. I was legit rooting for him after seeing him take so many head kicks, hoping he lands a hail merry KO like Big Nog did to Brendan Schaub.

I fear the same will happen to Anderson Silva on the next event. Getting TKO/KOed on the 2nd round or even the first by these new prospects. Silva obviously lost his speed as evidenced in his last 4 or so fights. But he can still pack a sniper shot and KO Brunson if the latter gets too hasty going in for a kill.

The best is listening to Rashad on the MMA hour give advice to BJ about fighting too long....

pot-meet-kettle.jpg

Nog murdered Schaub from start to finish as I recall it.

And yeah, big respect for BJ. Time hasn't been nice to him.

Randy gave him a helluva fight though!

Randy, BHop and Hendo took him to the final round
still a domination at the end though

Urijah escaped with a split decision loss

Randy peaked really late imo. Plus he never really take much damage throughout his career until the very end. He picked the correct moment to retire and stayed that way as well.

Hendo on the other hand is just ridiculous. I sincerely hope he stays retire, the damage he took over the years won't do him well.

Speaking of Hendo reminds me of Shogun. Damn.. The first Henderson fight makes me hope he retire but he went on for a second fight years later.

Nog murdered Schaub from start to finish as I recall it.

And yeah, big respect for BJ. Time hasn't been nice to him.

I don't really remember it. But Big Nog have never been a KO artist. And Schaub was the "new breed". I was really surprised how the fight went.

Without PEDS the old guys cannot compete at the highest levels.

clowning.gif

tumblr_n4fj94mtfL1qaa8d1o6_250.gif

george-ko-moorer_o_GIFSoupcom.gif

George and Bernard do not respect Father Time

I wish they would have retired on top. Watching the legends fight past their prime is disappointing.

He hanged his glove up at least twice now for what I remember. I think it's the warrior spirit among these old fighters that make them get out of retirement and wishes to compete again. Same goes for Fedor. Neither of them need the cash. They simply wishes to fight and test themselves. We as fan, only hope for the best in the result and ultimately health.

I have always believe that fighters that "takes one to land one" will suffer the most. Likewise to those with granite chin will suffer the most ultimately.

People like Roy Nelson, Mark Hunt, Dan Henderson. BJ Penn, Frankie Edgar. Hell even Chris Leben.

GSP doesn't have the best causal fan fighting style, but it's the most intelligent and beneficial to his own health after he retire. Same with Dominic Cruz.
Agreed, I'm sure wrestling with that decision isn't easy for any fighter, and yes the cast iron chin guys often seem to be the ones who don't want to let go.

I'm hoping the more the sport progresses the more self conscious fighters will be about setting themselves up for life after fighting as in something constructive to do other than fight. I retired in August and im going about batshit crazy doing the same mundane shit day after day. Props to Bisping, DC, Tyron, Cruz, ect for staying in the game without having to be the game.

I'm sure these guys get bored and the brains first instinct is to go back to what you know, often that's the last thing you need to do. In the words of the philosophical Tito Ortiz "it is what it is"...

Any fighter that even takes a fight at 40 years old needs to be celebrated just for that. The amount of training and prep both in combat and nutrition is overwhelming to the human body and 99.99% of 40 year old people could not handle that. Guys like Randy, Hendo, Chuck although he didnt have much success at that age, Fedor, Crocop, Barnett, Werdum, Roy Nelson, FAber, BJ, Anderson, fuck even The Hippo Persosh...all these guys are fucking insane for training and getting in there. Most of you are well under 30 im sure you have no idea how hard it is to keep your shit together at that age. Hats off to these guys for being crazy enough to still compete at their ages.

Back