MMA Glove Weight

Giant Wimp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Should mma gloves be increased in weight to 7-8 ounces. It will stop more brutal KOs and give a fighter a chance to recover if he staggers and maybe come back and win the fight

I have a real question. Are all the gloves 4oz? Are the gloves straw weights fight in the same weight as lesnars xxxl or carwins 4xl gloves?

Nope. That would only give a bigger advantage to strikers. A lot of grappling moves are already hard enough with gloves and wraps on. You're talking about doubling the padding in the gloves, it might as well be kickboxing at that point.

I have a real question. Are all the gloves 4oz? Are the gloves straw weights fight in the same weight as lesnars xxxl or carwins 4xl gloves?

I was wondering the exact same thing actually. I'm assuming the weight is the total weight of the glove, not just the padding. I'd appreciate it if anyone in the know would correct or confirm that.

That's a question I asked a long time ago. From what I read the mma gloves range from 4oz to 6oz depending on their size.

I was wondering the exact same thing actually. I'm assuming the weight is the total weight of the glove, not just the padding. I'd appreciate it if anyone in the know would correct or confirm that.
Glove weight is total. So for a bigger glove size you'd think they would be heavier or have less padding on them to balance out the weight.
That's a question I asked a long time ago. From what I read the mma gloves range from 4oz to 6oz depending on their size.
This makes sense and sounds the most logical.

Gloves are meant to protect the hands, not the person being punched.

When I owned an MMA apparel store I found out to my surprise they are from 2.5 - 4ounces. Practice gloves go up to 7.

I like the smaller gloves. They are closer to a real fight. Plus as someone said, larger gloves would help strikers and hurt grapplers

Bring back the early years. Let the fighters choose, lol.

Should mma gloves be increased in weight to 7-8 ounces. It will stop more brutal KOs and give a fighter a chance to recover if he staggers and maybe come back and win the fight

Not sure more concussive blows are better than flash KO.

Also, will kill the grappling!

But people like to see brutal KO's!
It is fighting, it should be without gloves, like it was before.

Boxing uses 8oz gloves up to like the 160 lb mark or whatever. Think about that.

this is actually legit one of the most lucid questions I've seen on sherdog..... those heavyweight gloves look huge!

Just checked UFC rules

Gloves
  1. All contestants shall wear glove which are at least 4 ounces and are approved by the Commission. Generally, gloves should not weigh more than 6 ounces without the approval of the Commission. Certain larger sized gloves, e.g. 2 XL - 4 XL, may be allowed even though they may slightly exceed 6 ounces.
  2. Gloves should be supplied by the promoter and approved by the Commission. No contestant shall supply their own gloves for participation.

I'm glad this came up. I actually wondered it today and was going to ask when I saw this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back