flopping and running in fights. legit strategies?

ReasonableMMAFan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So, as I was watching Rousey getting destroyed by Nunes, I was wondering, why doesn't she just flop to the ground like Ryan Hall did against Maynard? Or, why didn't she just try running away from Amanda? Sure you might get a point deducted but you're still in the fight.

Really, in any fight where someone is getting outclassed/lit up, running and flopping seem like pretty good options. I'm surprised more fighters don't go those routes.

It is a legit strategy, used by many grapplers.

The Rousey/Nunes fight lasted less than a minute, where Ronda tried to get in close and clinch...That was her best chance, and she went for it.. It didn't last long enough to try anything else.

I have no problem with flopping to recover if you are hurt the onus ison the attacker to come down and finish you. I don't really think the ref should force a stand up in that case. I had no problem with halls strategy as he was winning the stand up, again the onus is on grey to win back the fight by fighting on the ground but he refused to. Flopping and pulling guard is legit fight strategy and unless its used to avoid fighting or be passive i don't think it should be penalised or inherit any notional penalty

Becaue ronda is a headcase and thought she could box.
But really it ia not just her, everybody just kick boxes, then there is legit mma figthers who use their strengths like maia and submitts guys like carlis conduit in seconds

Have you ever been hit hard?

There's your answer, you make decisions like you've sculled a bottle of wild turkey and had a six pack to take the edge off. It always seems like a good idea at the time, until tomorrow.....

She's not that kind of fighter. Like at all. See the Holly fight where she was getting beaten up the entire fight and still kept coming forward.

So, as I was watching Rousey getting destroyed by Nunes, I was wondering, why doesn't she just flop to the ground like Ryan Hall did against Maynard? Or, why didn't she just try running away from Amanda? Sure you might get a point deducted but you're still in the fight.

Really, in any fight where someone is getting outclassed/lit up, running and flopping seem like pretty good options. I'm surprised more fighters don't go those routes.

What Ryan Hall did was VERY smart and a legit strategy.

So yes

You should have DM'd her with the heads up. You could have saved her from losing. Smh

Just don't do it too much

vnh0zp.gif

20170117_010512_zpssb0u2kex.png
229895_1.jpg

This is MMA. Any strategy that is effective works.

Just don't do it too much

vnh0zp.gif

20170117_010512_zpssb0u2kex.png
229895_1.jpg
Not cool of the ref to do that. Who's to say that the striker isnt in the wrong here for not wanting to grapple.
This is MMA. Any strategy is accepted.
Just because someone doesn't want to grapple shouldn't mean that they're in the right.

Not cool of the ref to do that. Who's to say that the striker isnt in the wrong here for not wanting to grapple.
This is MMA. Any strategy is accepted.
Just because someone doesn't want to grapple shouldn't mean that they're in the right.
"Obey my commands at all times". I get where youre coming from though. You shouldn't be forced to stand up from a butt scoot. I used to love how Miguel Torres would walk dudes down with his.

He didn't commit, I guess.
7f7hmy8.gif

Can't even edit with dubs...

Anyway ONT:
It's a fight, so they should fight and not run.
I bet the people who think not fighting it's a valid strategy in MMA is the same people who think Schaub performed well in that BJJ match against Cyborg.

Guard pulling or butt flopping is looked down upon by Judoka, even if Ronda had the chance to - she wouldn't have.

This is the UFC with it's watered-down unified rules.
The only reason someone willingly flops to the ground like that is because kicks to downed opponents are banned.

ever watched Nog, Sakuraba, Werdum in Pride? Grapplers risked getting kicked all the time when they are good enough on the ground. But yes UFC rules suck but not because it favors floping which it does not but because take downs are scored too high, being inactive is not punished and not allowing kicks on the ground makes fight more stale prone.

That stuff is only legal because it happens so rarely. If it starts to happen in big fights on most cards you'd see rule changes way quicker than it took to fix the hand-to-ground gaming. Promoters would run to commissions.

Back