Doo Ho Choi vs Yair

BluntForceTrama

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Ive been 3/3 in my calls for predicted matchups for Choi subsequent his arrival into the UFC.

Of course I couldn't have seen the Puig fight being his first, but I called a pool of three that included Sicilia in his subsequent fight. Then I saw Thiago Tavares being the next victim and most definitely saw Swanson as the next perfect fight for him although I had him winning that one convincingly which wasn't the case at all.

For his next fight I think the next logical step for the two is each other. To me the timing is perfect with Choi coming off his bad loss where he nearly got knocked out. Yair is a good matchup for Choi plus Yair isn't as good a striker in the hands department which is something Choi might need at this point. Defeating someone who has pulled the wool over some as Yair has in this Penn defeat would set Choi up with a top 5 opponent.

Yair comes off an impressive win off a clearly depleted Penn who seemed like he last fought 50 years ago. A win off someone who has instantly become legitimate like Choi would catapult the kid into the next level.

Choi destroys Yair though in the end so it all for naught anyway.

doo ho choi is too flat footed and stationery of a target

Ive always wanted Yari vs Choi

Choi has great timing and went far with just that alone, but the Swanson fight showed how poor his actual boxing fundamentals are

Head always on the center, poor defensive responsibility when exiting

Choi was simply a fighter who was great at timing opponents coming in with the right straight

All it took for Swansion to neautralize his timing was fients - and level changes into come up hooks.

Swanson would fient and then back Choi up against the fence with hooks - then flurry while Choi had his back stuck to the fence

All this talk of Choi being like Conor

LOL

Conor has legit elite pro level boxing, countering and footwork

Choi couldnt even display amaturish boxing

Conor is someone who wouldve counter fucked you coming in, circled off the fence, or tied you up on his terms to stiffle and then work you over in-tight with body shots and or elbows

Again, Choi was only ever about timing you stepping in...and simple fients disrupted all that for him...and then he would allow himself to get pressed against the fence with hooks and then stay on the fence and eat flurries

I was seriously shocked to see how AMATURE Choi was after all the hype he was getting "the next Conor"

Choi still needs to be fighting the top 10 and developing...let alone is even fit to hold Conor's month old jack strap. Conor is the greatest boxing based defensive counter puncher in MMA history

But yeah, I want to see Yari vs Choi just to see where Choi is really at...

because as we just went over - Choi is someone who wants to time an opponent coming in...and Yari has such an off beat rhythm that he could completely neutralize Choi's timing just by being himself...and then you have all the kicks of Yari etc

I think Yari would smoke Choi, but I would like to see it as a prospect vs prospect fight - and to see if Choi can improve and become more then what he is right now

Choi would have to dig deep to adjust because Yari is a terrible match up for him (hard to time/great at commanding kicking rage etc)

Yari is a fantastic prospect

Yari is FAR FAR BETTER THEN CHOI

I cant wait to see Yari continue to develop.The kid has all kinds of amazing potential

doo ho choi is too flat footed and stationery of a target
Yep. He will get eaten up by his kicks

Choi is all about timing opponents stepping in...

Yiar has off beat broken rhythm and will completely neutralize that

Choi would then be controlled from range, frozen by his kicks, and picked apart

Choi's actual boxing fundamentals and footwork are quite poor

Choi has great timing and went far with just that alone, but the Swanson fight showed how poor his actual boxing fundamentals are

Choi was simply a fighter who was great at timing opponents coming in with the right straight

All it took for Swansion to neautralize his timing was fients - and level changes into come up hooks.

Swanson would fient and then back Choi up against the fence with hooks - then flurry while Choi had his back stuck to the fence

LOL

Conor is someone who wouldve counter fucked you coming in, circled off the fence, or tied you up on his terms to stiffle and then work you over in-tight with body shots and or elbows

Again, Choi was only ever about timing you stepping in...and simple fients disrupted all that for him...and then he would allow himself to get pressed against the fence with hooks and then stay on the fence and eat flurries

I was seriously shocked to see how AMATURE Choi was after all the hype he was getting "the next Conor"

Choi still needs to be fighting the top 10 and developing...let alone is even fit to hold Conor's month old jack strap. Conor is the greatest boxing based defensive counter puncher in MMA history

because as we just went over - Choi is someone who wants to time an opponent coming in...and Yari has such an off beat rhythm that he could completely neutralize Choi's timing just by being himself...and then you have all the kicks of Yari etc

I think Yari would smoke Choi, but I would like to see it as a prospect vs prospect fight - and to see if Choi can improve and become more then what he is right now

Choi would have to dig deep to adjust because Yari is a terrible match up for him (hard to time/great at commanding kicking rage etc)

I cant wait to see Yari continue to develop.The kid has all kinds of amazing potential

You are writing Yair wrong on purpose. You must be a very cool guy.

LOL

Thats really a one dimensional perspective on Choi and your whole argument seems pronounced with the confirmation bias. There are definite holes in his game but I wouldn't describe his capabilities so simply as you have. Its really his first loss and one he stands to learn a lot from but he was destroying dudes up to this point with more than just timing. Thats a skill he's developed but his arsenal is far deeper than that. He's admitted conditioning was as big a factor as any other deficiencies that might've been apparent after the fact. He 'saw every punch coming but was too fatigued to move out of the way' which I believe. He needs to get trained by a stud trainer thats for sure but he has already shown he has a damn good counter punch game that was taken out of the equation this fight. And his feignting game is world class.

Like I said you're only as good as your last fight and its hilarious how the boo birds think theyre calling something here but despite the loss Choi is a tremendous prospect here. Much more so than Yair for sure. Yair really has fought nobody up to this point. Don't last night fool you.

How about not having young prospects knock each other off so soon and giving them a chance to develop? Yair learned nothing from beating an old timer in Penn.

Its Yair, not Yari. I have yet to impressed by him to be honest. Rewatched his fights v Fili and hooker this afternoon. Very flashy, but he hasn't been tested by someone who's gonna put pressure on him. Bektic would be a good fight for him next.

Choi just lost.. is a regression for Yair.
Should fight a top 4-8

Huge step down for Yair, he would want much higher than that. Choi has a lot to prove and long way to go first, he has not beaten anyone good, he has fought cans in Asia and fought 1 average fighter in Tavares, thats it.. and then of course the best guy he faced was Swanson and he was just a punching bag

Rodriguez would pound Choi. He should fight up the rankings. Like Edgar or Swanson.

You're only as good as your last fight...in this case Yair's the Mexican Conor after destroying Grandpa Penn. And 'Choi sucks because he was Swanson's punchingbag' the last one.

So Yair is the winner here...Clearly.

There are some tards logged on apparently.

Based on what: going to decision with Caceres and beating on a washed up Penn?
we know he has a gas tank,he has more than just punches,isn't flat footed,he has wrestling on top of his striking

LOL

Holy shit are you typing that in Wordpad on Windows 95?

Back