Time for Greg Jackson to reconsider the future?

hot carl

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I just re-watched Yair's complete dismantling and annihilation of the legend and former 2 weight class champ, BJ Penn (hespect).

Through out that fight, Yair landed countless leg strikes to Penn's body, chin, and legs, and Penn was unable to check or defend any of those leg strikes.

I also noticed that Yair, a striker, particularly a leg striker, even took Penn down. Penn, even when training himself, had legendary take down defense. It seems that he can no longer defend a takedown, even from someone who is primarily a striker.

Yair also landed several arm strikes to Penn's head and facial area. BJ has a legendary chin, and it has served him well, perhaps too well, but Penn had absolutely zero head movement and Yair, a much smaller fighter (Penn was a LW and WW) landed on him with arm strikes at will.

Under Jackson's tutelage, they clearly did not work on and he did not teach Penn leg strike defense. Moreover, it seems that Penn's takedown defense did not just not get better, it actually got worse.

It was also painfully clear, especially for a Penn fan, that Jackson did not work with Penn or teach him head movement, to keep his chin tucked, or how to defend arm strikes.

Jackson clearly did not work with Penn or teach Penn anything.

Penn is a legend in this sport, and its a shame that Greg Jackson would sully Penn's stellar reputation and career and record by not readying him for any aspect of the fight.

Penn was with Parillo for the majority of his camp.....

I just re-watched Yair's complete dismantling and annihilation of the legend and former 2 weight class champ, BJ Penn (hespect).

Through out that fight, Yair landed countless leg strikes to Penn's body, chin, and legs, and Penn was unable to check or defend any of those leg strikes.

I also noticed that Yair, a striker, particularly a leg striker, even took Penn down. Penn, even when training himself, had legendary take down defense. It seems that he can no longer defend a takedown, even from someone who is primarily a striker.

Yair also landed several arm strikes to Penn's head and facial area. BJ has a legendary chin, and it has served him well, perhaps too well, but Penn had absolutely zero head movement and Yair, a much smaller fighter (Penn was a LW and WW) landed on him with arm strikes at will.

Under Jackson's tutelage, they clearly did not work on and he did not teach Penn leg strike defense. Moreover, it seems that Penn's takedown defense did not just not get better, it actually got worse.

It was also painfully clear, especially for a Penn fan, that Jackson did not work with Penn or teach him head movement, to keep his chin tucked, or how to defend arm strikes.

Penn is a legend in this sport, and its a shame that Greg Jackson would sully Penn's stellar reputation and career and record by not readying him for any aspect of the fight.

You don't seem to understand the facts. BJ has looked bad for several consecutive fights and had a long layoff before he ever worked part time with Greg Jackson. BJ problems are the result of Father Time and self inflicted wounds. BJ was a legend in his prime and then he lost it. BJ has been beaten badly in all of his last fights ever since the draw vs. Fitch. BJ had no business fighting a young and elite fighter who might be wearing the belt down the road. The UFC should have a legends division for older fighters to fight each other and not get brutalized by current champions and contenders.

Penn just couldn't find his rhythm or distance. Yair poured it on from the getgo, and didn't stop. Too big, too fast, too technically sound on his feet, aggressive, and difficult to take down.

BJ really knows how to troll his fans into believing he's going to be with a legit fight camp. I remember before the 3rd Edgar fight BJ was down in Brazil with Nova Uniao (and speaking in English with a Brazilian accent) and claiming he was going to be doing his fight camp with Nova Uniao (this is when they were winning, Aldo and Barao were champs). Next thing you know old BJ isn't doing his camp with Nova Uniao but instead is doing it with a boxing coach Parillo and the great Mike Dolce.

Now here he is again trolling his fanbase into thinking he's moving to fight with the elite camp at Jackson MMA. But nope, he's doing his camp with Parillo again and not at Jackson's.

lol @ fans that believe Penn isn't the same lazy dude he's always been that wants his yes men in his corner. Penn should just go and train at GFC at this point, I'd love to hear Edmund screaming for "HEAD MOVEMENT" one more time.

"Yair, a much smaller fighter"

I can't believe I lost a bet to someone that calls kicks and punches "leg strikes and arm strikes."

I can't believe I lost a bet to someone that calls kicks and punches "leg strikes and arm strikes."
That's what betting with your heart will do to ya. One of the main reasons I don't bet

also worth mentioning, yair didn't look good when he was training with greg jackson, he looked incredible before jacksons and incredible after.
for example, yair didn't look overly impressive vs bruce leeroy.

Could have been that they worked on it but old habits died hard and bj reverted when the fight started.

It is interesting though, jacksons used to be THE place with a lot of champs and top fighters, but it kinda faded out. Same happened with Militech fighting systems... There was a time when they were absolutely dominant with champs in all different divisions, but now they aren't even on the radar

He wasn't a LW or WW on the night.

he spent the vast majority of his career fighting at LW or WW, and only two fights at.

pretty safe to say that he isnt really a 45er.

Back