Are ezekiel chokes that rare in mma?

BennySomo

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Alexey Oleynik pulled it off 11 times thats unbelivable.

It's hard to pull off with MMA gloves and easy to counter if you know it's coming. Viktor Pesta needs to work on his ground game.

dude must have watched zero tape on oleynik

Very hard to pull without a gi, let alone with Mma gloves

The gloves really get in the way. Also, you tend to lock it up more slowly, so No-Gi makes it a little tougher if the other guy has a clue about it at all. The way it went down in this fight, with him mounted was disgraceful. A guy tried that on me a few years back at a friendly tournament. AS soon as he went for it, I just armbarred him. Turning the corner for the armbar from the mount broke the hold and allowed me to get posture.

That is no easy thing to do, specially without the gi...

Baret Yoshida hit one at the last EBI Event...and everybody was impressed that he did that in a No-Gi grappling match from top position...

im trying to remember which judoka used to hit it in Pride

Kazuhiro Nakamura?

im trying to remember which judoka used to hit it in Pride

Kazuhiro Nakamura?
Hidehiko Yoshida, Sexyama, and Remco Pardoel all have ezekiel choke wins in MMA using their gis.

Guy must have some weird flexible grip strength. I've honestly never seen it done without a gi

Guy must have some weird flexible grip strength. I've honestly never seen it done without a gi
he's got a crazy amount of subs(including ezekiels). but the thing i'm guessing is the x factor is that he was strong enough to basically neck crank crocop and get a tap, so combo of technique mastery with the strength of an ox,like that choke matt hughes got on almeida

Alexey Oleynik pulled it off 11 times thats unbelivable.

found this cool little interview clip where he explains the thought process behind the choke, he was banking on his opponent being overconfident in his own wrestling, and he allowed him time to become relaxed in the position. then before the opponent knew what was happening he was forced to tap.

One question: I think he tried it in the clinch. Do you guys agree?

Back