6 INJUSTICES that lessened BJ's career. A series of unfortunate events

skullmaskkid

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It saddens me how disrespected BJ is by new fans who never saw him coming up. I mean partly you can't blame them, if you just judge BJ by his record it might not be as impressive as some of the other greats by W-L's alone. But that's partly cause of things that has happened to BJ through no fault of his own. INJUSTiCES. I will go through 4 that comes to mind right now.

1. Edgar Penn 1. This fight was a flat out robbery, till the day they lay me to the ground I will contend BJ won it 49-46. Frankie did nothing effectively this fight until the 5th round. This is one of the travesties never discussed in this sport. It completely changed teh trajectory of BJ's career. after this fight BJ's camp fell apart, he got goaded into a quick rematch where he summarily lost and that started the downward spiral of his career. If he gets the rightful decision, Edgar probably doesn't get a rematch and we are looking at the definitive LW GOAT's career

2. Hughs Penn 2. Penn was straight up dominating Matt standing and on the ground for 2 entire rounds till he tweaked his rib rolling. Anyone who watched this fight will tell you Penn would have destroyed Hughes if it weren't for the injury, which was not caused by Matt and just a freak accident. This was the first real blemish of Penn's career. If he didn't tweak his rib, he would have beaten Hughes in his 2nd fight back to the UFC and again became the 1st 3 time champ

3. Penn vs Pulver 1. Penn straight up tapped Pulver but was saved by the bell, if the round had gone on 2 seconds, he has a submission win instead of a decision loss.

4. Penn vs GSP 1. That was a draw. Penn put that guy in the hospital. to this day Georges still get shivers down his back and harkons back to those days in the streets of Quebec where his manhood was dashed at the hands of young French Canadian schoolyard bullies when he thinks about this fight.

If you adjust for these errors, Penn's a 19-2 fighter

EDITED

Fuck it, I wasn't gonna even go greasegate, but the haters have me heated. Georges CHEATED for the rematch. CHEATED. BROKE THE RULES. decisions get overturned cause fighters mix up supplements, but BJ can't get a decision when Georges literally apply lubricant to HIMSELF?!

and he beat Caol Uno 2nd tme too.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

It saddens me how disrespected BJ is by new fans who never saw him coming up. I mean partly you can't blame them, if you just judge BJ by his record it might not be as impressive as some of the other greats by W-L's alone. But that's partly cause of things that has happened to BJ through no fault of his own. INJUSTiCES. I will go through 4 that comes to mind right now.

1. Edgar Penn 1. This fight was a flat out robbery, till the day they lay me to the ground I will contend BJ won it 49-46. Frankie did nothing effectively this fight until the 5th round. This is one of the travesties never discussed in this sport. It completely changed teh trajectory of BJ's career. after this fight BJ's camp fell apart, he got goaded into a quick rematch where he summarily lost and that started the downward spiral of his career. If he gets the rightful decision, Edgar probably doesn't get a rematch and we are looking at the definitive LW GOAT's career

2. Hughs Penn 2. Penn was straight up dominating Matt standing and on the ground for 2 entire rounds till he tweaked his rib rolling. Anyone who watched this fight will tell you Penn would have destroyed Hughes if it weren't for the injury, which was not caused by Matt and just a freak accident. This was the first real blemish of Penn's career. If he didn't tweak his rib, he would have beaten Hughes in his 2nd fight back to the UFC and again became the 1st 3 time champ

3. Penn vs Pulver 1. Penn straight up tapped Pulver but was saved by the bell, if the round had gone on 2 seconds, he has a submission win instead of a decision loss.

4. Penn vs GSP 1. That was a draw. Penn put that guy in the hospital. to this day Georges still get shivers down his back and harkons back to those days in the streets of Quebec where his manhood was dashed at the hands of young French Canadian schoolyard bullies when he thinks about this fight.

If you adjust for GSP being a draw his record becomes 19-2?
Do you even math?

I totally support this message.

WAR BJ!!

dont even care really...never thought he was on of the true greats of the sport

the delusions of his fan base has always seemed weird to me

this is actually one of the best threads on sherdog I've ever seen

tumblr_inline_o2ey5cu3cF1r89lqz_1280.jpg

No,Frankie and GSP clearly beat him in their first fights against Penn.If he was better then he would've won the rematches,which he failed to do.
Don't understand how 2 and 3 are injustices in any way...lol he got beat.

No,Frankie and GSP clearly beat him in their first fights against Penn.If he was better then he would've won the rematches,which he failed to do.
Don't understand how 2 and 3 are injustices in any way...lol he got beat.
you are either blind or never saw the fight. It's ok

Penn/Edgar 1 was one of the most important robberies in the history of the sport, I agree. And anyone that says it wasn't a robbery is down right lying to themselves. Doug Crosby gave Edgar a 50-45 victory in that fight. How does a scorecard like that NOT get overturned? The fight should have at the very least been made a no contest.

Penn/Edgar 1 was one of the most important robberies in the history of the sport, I agree. And anyone that says it wasn't a robbery is down right lying to themselves. Doug Crosby gave Edgar a 50-45 victory in that fight. How does a scorecard like that NOT get overturned? The fight should have at the very least been made a no contest.
no doubt, I remember watching that fight with the sound off at a computer lab thinking Penn won comfortably. Then was absolutely SHOCKED at the results. it was absurd

Frankie had no effective offense for FOUR ROUNDS

been through this with many of my favorites, Coleman, Kerr, Frye, Chuck, Franklin, Machida, Reem, ect. Fighters have an expiration date and when they fight past their peak physical capabilities it usually ends up bad. Realistically 2010 was BJ's time to step away, he didn't and had gotten beat in all his fights since and smashed in the more recent ones. It sucks, but as a longtime MMA fan it's natural evolution of the sport.

The first injustice was that BS draw against Uno, but he should have stayed the course. Yeah, yeah… I know he moved up and beat Hughes. After the Pulver defeat, Penn was primed to be the greatest lightweight to ever compete, but the guy is just nuts…

Couldn’t win a lightweight title, so he jumped up to 170, then 185, then an overweight Penn fought Machida. The guy is crazy and crazy doesn’t always equal Genius.

He totally reminds me of Roy Jones Jr.

An exceptional talent too crazy for his own good…

Either way, call it a day, already…

The first injustice was that BS draw against Uno, but he should have stayed the course. Yeah, yeah… I know he moved up and beat Hughes. After the Pulver defeat, Penn was primed to be the greatest lightweight to ever compete, but the guy is just nuts…
god damn, I had forgotten about that. great point

I'm watching that fight right now, (BJ Penn/Edgar I) and I'll post my score card as I go.

Round 1 is obviously BJ's round. No other reading is possible. 10-9.

I don't think its quite on the level of say Shogun/Machida 1, Herring/Vitor, Nog/Hendo 1, etc where one guy got the best of almost the entire fight and lost but 50-45 for Frankie is definitely some of the worst judging ever.

I actually think a lot of the incidents mentioned before this ended up having a negative effect on BJ and they ment he became a much more careful fighting too concerned with avoiding LnP defeats. The absolutele best BJ was IMHO prior to the UFC LW title run where he used his offencive grappling a lot more, I feel if he;d kept that up he would likely have either finished Frankie or dominated enough to take a decision even with that judging.

The cult of Penn is bizarre. These guys fully expected him to our destroy Nick Diaz and Rory. They thought he was going to use his incredible boxing to light them up lol.

Back