So BJ was fully prepared right?

Degen Gambler

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
He took 2 years off, went to an elite camp to train with the "best" trainers in the world yet he was circling right the whole time into Yair's deadly left leg?

Let's face it, BJ didn't take this fight and 90% of his career seriously. This let's scrap bullshit is not how mma works. Why should BJ get all this adjulation for being a scrapper when that's not the roadmap to success in this business. Its a roadmap to CTE. The guys that deserve respect in this sport are the guys that understand the game and come in fully prepared for everything they could face.

Yeah. He has never looked this in shape in his career, but the sad thing is he is 38 and the game has evolved.

BJ can still fight guys middle of the pack, but his championship days are over. It's sucks to admit it being a huge fan, but reality is reality.

He took 2 years off, went to an elite camp to train with the "best" trainers in the world yet he was circling right the whole time into Yair's deadly left leg?

Let's face it, BJ didn't take this fight and 90% of his career seriously. This let's scrap bullshit is not how mma works. Why should BJ get all this adjulation for being a scrapper when that's not the roadmap to success in this business. Its a roadmap to CTE. The guys that deserve respect in this sport are the guys that understand the game and come in fully prepared for everything they could face.
QtuIpCmqtSlF.jpg

Yeah. He has never looked this in shape in his career, but the sad thing is he is 38 and the game has evolved.

BJ can still fight guys middle of the pack, but his championship days are over. It's sucks to admit it being a huge fan, but reality is reality.
He looked in shape? He looked like the only thing he did was focus on weight cutting.

He looked in shape? He looked like the only thing he did was focus on weight cutting.
Yeah. His entire career he was criticized hard for not being in the best shape possible. He cut to 145 multiple times now and has looked healthy doing it. Remember he used to be a pudgy 170'er, so he looks slim at 145 just like Conor and Pettis did. 145 is a small weight and there isn't much mass.

Its what happens when you dont evolve and dont move with the waves....you cant simply make it on raw ability alone. Sooner or later you will age and without the hard work....you will lose and lose bad.

Yeah. His entire career he was criticized hard for not being in the best shape possible. He cut to 145 multiple times now and has looked healthy doing it. Remember he used to be a pudgy 170'er, so he looks slim at 145 just like Conor and Pettis did. 145 is a small weight and there isn't much mass.
It's hard for me to agree with that. Especially with you comparing him at 145 to Pettis or Conor. They at least look like they retain strength. BJ look very withered to me.

the scrappers show more courage & heart than point fighters. brain damage comes with an exciting style, so it's lauded.

well he didnt go out like Ronda. She went out after 2 exchanges on the feet. Yair hit him with everything he had and BJ still made it to the 2nd round. This was just a major mismatch. Even in BJ's prime this was a complete mismatch. The thing that Penn has above everyone else is his chin and with that chin plus his amazing foundation to work off of, he can hang in any fight no matter how one sided it is. Think about this, last night was the FIRST time BJ was ever knocked down in a fight. Faber is one of a kind, there are no other semi successful 38 year fighters in the lighter classes, and if there are some, they havent fought the best guys in their division yet if they are still fighting. Older mma fighters only succeed at hw because power stays and everything else goes and chances are you wont find a super quick hw its pretty rare. BJ was too proud to say no to this fight, the Rory fight, the 3rd Edgar fight and even the 2nd gsp fight. He has such heart and balls he doesnt care and thats what killed his career. Love the guy and his bushido spirit but he should have fought Rocardo Llamas or carny. This was a terrible matchup on paper and obviously it played out as such in the cage.

It's hard for me to agree with that. Especially with you comparing him at 145 to Pettis or Conor. They at least look like they retain strength. BJ look very withered to me.
Lol, Conor looked like death in his weigh in pic against Mendes and Aldo, and Pettis looked like a skeleton. BJ cutting from pudgy 170 to healthy 145 is good for me.

Lol, Conor looked like death in his weigh in pic against Mendes and Aldo, and Pettis looked like a skeleton. BJ cutting from pudgy 170 to healthy 145 is good for me.
I'm talking about how they show up to fight after said weight cut.

Cool opinion, bro. Definitely worthy of a new thread.

That was motivated Jackson Penn. He just ran into a buzzsaw. Rodriguez v Edgar !!! Make it happen Dana.

yeah he seemed like he was, but he was matched against a younger and beast of the current division, sink or swim type situation

BJ took some big shots and never officially went out. He has been gone too long. He will go the route Jens Pulver went if he doesn't step away.

I read somewhere on here that B.J. did his own camp for this fight. They used old footage of him at Jackson's. I am Not sure how true it is.

The thing that made B.J. so great is also his downfall. He been facing much bigger guys for far too long. It has taken its toll. He looked old from stare down to when he sat down on the stool at the end of the fight. Even at 145lbs he managed to find someone much bigger than himself to fight.

If he wants to continue lets see him against guys like Denis Siver.

Back