Creating own championship as fighters

Yourstepdad

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Why don't UFC fighters and their managements create their own events/promotions/championships instead of risking their lives handing over the millions to Dana White ?

Only an idea. Im sure many broadcasting networks would want to help them

uncle_scrooge_by_remy13127-d31e9hc.jpg

There are a lot of reasons. Too many to set out cogently here, but I'd suggest two of the main ones are:

1) Cost - It is incredibly expensive to piece together a promotion. It's not really a case of asking two guys to show up and fight it out then asking if any networks want to cover it. You need staff, equipment, insurances, the ability to pay (lucrative) fight purses to attract talent. Then you need to market your event and convince people to attend, which doesn't happen for free. On top of that, you need a promoter's license, and you'll likely need at least a lawyer who is familiar with licensing law and capable of dealing with whichever regulatory body would be in charge.

All of this stuff is a hassle, and the fighters who would really benefit from this (the lower tier fighters) don't really have the disposable or the time to work it all out. The elite level fighters simply don't need to, as they can leave all that hassle to a promotion and take home decent bank.

2) The Jeff Jarrett effect - How the hell would a group of fighters match-make effectively? Every fighter, pretty much, thinks they are the best. Everyone would want to be fighting in the main event. Even some of the more realistic fighter-promoters like Sefo book matches that they probably shouldn't be in. It would be a mess without an effective booker, and that person would have their hamstrings cut if the guys they were trying to book, and possibly even cut, were also owners. Never let your inmates run the asylum.

I imagine other folks will have a plethora of other reasons, but those jump out to me straight off.

There are a lot of reasons. Too many to set out cogently here, but I'd suggest two of the main ones are:

1) Cost - It is incredibly expensive to piece together a promotion. It's not really a case of asking two guys to show up and fight it out then asking if any networks want to cover it. You need staff, equipment, insurances, the ability to pay (lucrative) fight purses to attract talent. Then you need to market your event and convince people to attend, which doesn't happen for free. On top of that, you need a promoter's license, and you'll likely need at least a lawyer who is familiar with licensing law and capable of dealing with whichever regulatory body would be in charge.

All of this stuff is a hassle, and the fighters who would really benefit from this (the lower tier fighters) don't really have the disposable or the time to work it all out. The elite level fighters simply don't need to, as they can leave all that hassle to a promotion and take home decent bank.

2) The Jeff Jarrett effect - How the hell would a group of fighters match-make effectively? Every fighter, pretty much, thinks they are the best. Everyone would want to be fighting in the main event. Even some of the more realistic fighter-promoters like Sefo book matches that they probably shouldn't be in. It would be a mess without an effective booker, and that person would have their hamstrings cut if the guys they were trying to book, and possibly even cut, were also owners. Never let your inmates run the asylum.

I imagine other folks will have a plethora of other reasons, but those jump out to me straight off.

Good answer, but of course they would have to sit down with a third party, and get investors.

The fighters would only have to start the initiative and I am sure there would be many interested parties who could help them make it happen.

The champs would indeed probably stay with the UFC for a while, but how about a person like Cyborg?

Of course every fighter thinks he/she is the best, but I am sure the prospect of a lot more money could make them consider bringing in a trustworthy third party to be the judge of that.

It is not illegal, and Dana brought this upon himself.

I would love to set up something like this and make sure this gets done right and on the down low. But i dont have any connections, and im in the wrong country

It's the internet age

Pretty much multimillion $ companies are formed with Kickstarter

It's totally doable if there was for instance a Sherdog FC funneled into Kickstarter. I'd pay thousands to Sherdog FC Kickstarter personally whereas the UFC has received $0 from me over the years since Dana is too fat for my liking

It's the internet age

Pretty much multimillion $ companies are formed with Kickstarter

It's totally doable if there was for instance a Sherdog FC funneled into Kickstarter. I'd pay thousands to Sherdog FC Kickstarter personally whereas the UFC has received $0 from me over the years since Dana is too fat for my liking

Yeah, but then change the name before they start claiming stuff

FFFC
-Fighting Fans Fighting Championship
-Fans 4 Fighters Fighting Championship
-Fighting in Fairness Fighting Championship
-Fans for Fair Fights Championship

Triple F C

Donate a percentage of each fight to a good cause as well (instead of forking it over to that fatso)

Put martial arts in a more positive daylight

Last edited:
Soulja boy and Chris Brown are leading the union beach head.

Back