Is Yair Rodriguez doing for Tae Kwon Do what Machida did for Karate?

blkdynamite

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
That was some of the best Tae Kwon Do seen in MMA. And that was a straight up TKD fight right there. No way around it. Thoughts?

yeah Yair is the most pure tkd I've seen so far to do well in mma. Pettis had a heavy kickboxing background and Anderson used boxing and muay thai besides his tkd. so yeah I agree.

Machida beat legit people for years without taking a clean punch, then became an undefeated champion.

Yair destroyed a faded legend on the strength of a split decision over Bruce Leroy.

They aren't comparable. Come on, man.

he mixes it up way more than Machida did so in a sense isn't really TKD only. Machida was straight shotokan during his prime.

he mixes it up way more than Machida did so in a sense isn't really TKD only. Machida was straight shotokan during his prime.
most of what Yair does is tkd techniques. really basic stuff.

he's more hybrid than single discipline from childhood. there's MT in Yair's game.

Machida beat legit people for years without taking a clean punch, then became an undefeated champion.

Yair destroyed a faded legend on the strength of a split decision over Bruce Leroy.

They aren't comparable. Come on, man.
He didn't compare their success though.

He compared the way they represent their martial arts background. Both show that their respective styles can be effective in MMA. As long as the whole package of skills they have allows them to use it effectively.

I would like to see Yair vs more competent strikers though. He looked very wild and a bit sloppy at times. A disciplined striker might capitalize on that.

If he get's the belt (undefeated), maybe. But Machida didn't lose a round doing it, Yair already have 2 split decisions. I can see that you like to compare them and see them as a representative for their fighting style/martial arts background in the modern day MMA scene.

I would like to see Yair vs more competent strikers though. He looked very wild and a bit sloppy at times. A disciplined striker might capitalize on that.

Exactly what i was thinking. He has speed on his side, but still, timing beats speed.

Who knows, maybe he opened up a bit more with Penn as he was in no point threatened by his "boxing".

Yair MIGHT do for TKD what Machida did for Karate. Very possible but not yet.

Come on man. BJ was renowned for years for his boxing and striking. Granted he is past his prime but dont act like he's Tito.

That was some of the best Tae Kwon Do seen in MMA. And that was a straight up TKD fight right there. No way around it. Thoughts?

You guys are comparing him to Machida now....lol. That was the best striking against a stationary target.....sure.

He sort of is Tito at this point though. It's easy to give Penn a break because he was great, but he isn't now.

Yair looked dangerous last night, and he made straight TKD look good, but Machida was likely the last person we'll see get a belt with a pure martial art skillset.

15f7b5bf338872736c1357bd7e74e83d.jpg

Come on man. BJ was renowned for years for his boxing and striking. Granted he is past his prime but dont act like he's Tito.

tito looks better at this point

Yair's confidence, with his record at his age, he must feel unstoppable.

He was fighting a punching bag ..Next fight should tell us the truth .

He is still really young, stop calling him overrated lol

TKD has always been legit, it's just MMA fighters and fans r so far behind the curve!

Any striking art done at a high level with good TDD is going to be successful in MMA!

Why do the worlds armies fight standing?

LOL!

Back