Do you see a UFC champ coming from smaller nations outside of the big 2 (USA and Brazil)?

Rafaman

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Will we see champs from the non power bases of MMA such as Japan, Australia, Canada, Croatia, France etc? It seems the established systems of wrestling in the USA and the traditions of BJJ in Brazil are very dominate.

Either though we have champs Conor and Bisping from outisde th USA they seem to be the exception.

Other nations have good ground game systems such as wrestlers in Iran yet we see USA and Brazil basically dividing the championships.

For example in Boxing you will get freak one off athletes from random nations such as a Joe Calzghe from Wales or Manny Pacquiao from the Philippines. It seems in MMA this doesnt really happen.

c0e8f35f4beb5628e1402d0649aad3a8.jpg

2586782-296bas-belts.jpg

drobson136a.jpg

Conor comes from Scotland which has like 3 million people.

Ireland has like 4k people and they have a champ.

The US and Brazil population is a combined 500-550 million. Which isn't far off from the population of the whole of Europe (50 countries that are completely different from the other) These two countries have such a large talent pool. Plus, as you stated, they're also heavy in grappling which is a key attribute in MMA, especially UFC.
Of course there will be some champions from smaller nations, but a lot of these countries don't have the same motivations to MMA like we see in those two huge countries.

there's 3 people in ireland and one is conor. pretty good ratio.

megan-anderson.jpg

First champion from Australia will be this beast in the womens featherweight division.

Russia is coming for those belts.. #khabibtime

Russia is coming for those belts.. #khabibtime
And there should be which surprises me. They have good ground systems of training in Russia and the surrounding Cacus nations plus pro boxing is huge yet in the UFC they are not really represented.

Will we see champs from the non power bases of MMA such as Japan, Australia, Canada, Croatia, France etc? It seems the established systems of wrestling in the USA and the traditions of BJJ in Brazil are very dominate.

Either though we have champs Conor and Bisping from outisde th USA they seem to be the exception.

Other nations have good ground game systems such as wrestlers in Iran yet we see USA and Brazil basically dividing the championships.

For example in Boxing you will get freak one off athletes from random nations such as a Joe Calzghe from Wales or Manny Pacquiao from the Philippines. It seems in MMA this doesnt really happen.
In recent history.. Beside Conor and Bisping.. There is JJ and GSP. Not to mention Bas, Newton, Arvloski..

And there should be which surprises me. They have good ground systems of training in Russia and the surrounding Cacus nations plus pro boxing is huge yet in the UFC they are not really represented.
For some reason until recent years ufc hasnt actively hired eastern european fighters (especially those who dont speak english). Luckily they are now coming and I believe that in 3 years they will have few of the belts

All great fighters but thats over a period of 20 yrs. At any given time we have 3-4 USA or Brazilians holding a belt.
Sure, but you also have a lot more of american/brazilian fighters in the UFC.

From what we saw yesterday?

She's not remotely ready for the real FW champ.

Not even ready for Holm iron lady winner.

Not quite there yet but i think she showed good heart and eventually good striking, i believe she is closer to a UFC title than Rob Whittaker and Mark Hunt.I think Holm is a better matchup for her than de randamie and i hope that other drug cheats heart explodes and her blood solidifies.

Back