Greatest Falls From Grace in UFC History

Fahrenheit1221

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Does BJ Penn qualify?

Who are your nominees?

EDIT: By greatest I don't mean taking pleasure from their failure. I just mean surprising, dramatic or long lasting. There are a lot to choose from. I'm trying to think more modern.

BJ's bad but Ronda Rousey's was like a bizzare circus from the first loss all the way to her anticipated return and destruction in the second.

Chuck's was also very tough to watch.

Pettis is a big one.

Handsome Johny.

Cain kind of, only one unavenged loss but he's practically crippled.

No, Penn doesn't qualify.

Rousey...most obvious. Tossed from her pedestal and humiliated after getting kid glove treatment for her 'comeback'. A comeback that only illustrated how bad she was to begin with.

Hendricks...never defended his title, never was the same post USADA and can't make weight.

Definitely Rousey. She was a hero for casuals and women. She thought she could have a chance against Cain Velasquez.

Penn, Guillard, Chuck at the end, Couture, Wandy, Cro Cop

It has to be Ronda. What happened to Chuck and BJ wasn't any different from what's happened to all aging pro athletes since the beginning of sports. I could name ten examples just from the NFL alone that were as bad or worse. But Ronda went from being the "greatest athlete in human history" to losing to going into hiding for over a year to coming back and getting murked again to likely never fighting again, all well before age 30. You'd be hard-pressed to find a bigger fall from grace in all of sports history that didn't involve drugs or crime.

Royce, so many things have happened to tarnish his legacy in the last few years.

Penn doesn't qualify, he lost a close decision and then a not so close decision to Frankie. Then decided to keep fighting much bigger guys took a few more losses then retired and came back at like 38 against a bigger faster younger fighter. If a lot of top fighters at 38 were put in the same situation as he was tonight I suspect something similar would happen.

Father Time is undefeated. He gets everyone eventually

BJ's bad but Ronda Rousey's was like a bizzare circus from the first loss all the way to her anticipated return and destruction in the second.
Fear the Return, but we're gonna keep her hidden until the eleventh hour. Bizarre strategy but it worked it seems.

BJ, Chuck, Big nog - these aren't really falls from grace. It's just dudes fighting way past when their time at the top was up.

It has to be Ronda. What happened to Chuck and BJ wasn't any different from what's happened to all aging pro athletes since the beginning of sports. I could name ten examples just from the NFL alone that were as bad or worse. But Ronda went from being the "greatest athlete in human history" to losing to going into hiding for over a year to coming back and getting murked again to likely never fighting again, all well before age 30. You'd be hard-pressed to find a bigger fall from grace in all of sports history that didn't involve drugs or crime.
Definitely man! I never bought into the hype as I know a lot of hardcore fans didn't but god damn that fall was epic. I don't know if there's been another like it in sports history.

There's always Tyson but he at least came back and won a few more titles.

Does BJ Penn qualify?

Who are your nominees?

EDIT: By greatest I don't mean taking pleasure from their failure. I just mean surprising, dramatic or long lasting. There are a lot to choose from. I'm trying to think more modern.
Johnny Hendricks is a bizarre case. He is losing to lesser competition, and seems to be really struggling with his diet.

Pettis is losing to top ranked guys / title fights, so its not as bad ( similar to Frankie when he lost three fights to Bendo x 2, then lost to Aldo)

Pen has lost a lot recently.

No, Penn doesn't qualify.

Rousey...most obvious. Tossed from her pedestal and humiliated after getting kid glove treatment for her 'comeback'. A comeback that only illustrated how bad she was to begin with.

Hendricks...never defended his title, never was the same post USADA and can't make weight.
Remember Ronda lost title fights, so no shame there.

Father Time is undefeated. He gets everyone eventually
Tis true, that guy is undefeated and will get all of us.

grim.gif

Back