why are there so many "legends" "all time greats" and other superlatives in MMA

skullmaskkid

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
it's a relatively young sport, yet seems like every retired or semi retired guy is a "legend"

it's a relatively young sport, yet seems like every retired or semi retired guy is a "legend"

There's only one legend...

giphy.gif

Cause people only talk about or really even remember the "legends". For every Randy Couture there are 100 Eugene Jacksons. Not to mention 1000 guys below that no one remembers.

Brenden Schuab is the worst withthis. Every fighter is "on Mt. Rushmore of mma." I know Brenden is practically illiterate but their aren't 20 fucking people on Mt. Rushmore. He's such a fucking moron. "I'm going to make a break down show, then I'm just going to pick my friends and not actually break anything down because I'm a moron. So i pick Cowboy cause we trained together." Great analysis retard. Rant over.

I agree with you T.S, people use these terms way to often.

Why don't you give us some examples...

Brenden Schuab is the worst withthis. Every fighter is "on Mt. Rushmore of mma." I know Brenden is practically illiterate but their aren't 20 fucking people on Mt. Rushmore. He's such a fucking moron. "I'm going to make a break down show, then I'm just going to pick my friends and not actually break anything down because I'm a moron. So i pick Cowboy cause we trained together." Great analysis retard. Rant over.

I agree with you T.S, people use these terms way to often.
9F1DejyeRscQQ1vd4YzETSQh2w3wIpUe8FmK97SGiik.jpg

LEGENDS

Randy, Anderson, Mirko, Hendo, Fedor, Bas, Wand, Nog, Vitor, Chuck, Royce, GSP, etc...

NOT LEGENDS, but people will sometimes call them that

Ken Shamrock, Ortiz, Rampage, Tank, Sylvia, Faber, etc..

i dont think its unfair.

a lot of boxing matches look the same as each other, there arent that many boxers that can create an almost unique spectacle

however in mma we see all kinds of insane scenarios play out, theres something crazy on almost every card at least, some ultra-dramatic or iconic moment that will always stick in the mind. i believe that this fact creates legends. bisping getting hbombed is legendary, rampages slams are legendary, rumbles destructive power is legendary, anderson silvas dancing and trolling, nick diaz's taunts and slaps, wanderlei rolling his wrists before a fight...theres a lot of character in this sport.

maybe legend isnt the right word exactly but when you see the way these guys wreck each other, its hard not to elevate them in this way

seems like every retired or semi retired guy is a "legend"

lol really? Can you provide some numbers please?

1. # of people you think are retired.
2. # of people you think are called legend.
3. # of people you think shouldn't be. And perhaps some names.

Sounds like you're talking out of your ass because more retired fighters are definitely not called legends.

Guys commonly called legends that aren't (MMA)

Evan Tanner
Tim Sylvia
Kevin Randleman
Cro cop (this one can be argued, still more of a kickboxer)
Jens Pulver
Tito Ortiz
Tank Abbott
Miguel Torres

Hard to qualify a legend. Lots of guys that are halfway between legend and the list above, such as:

Frank Mir
Frankie Edgar
Ken Shamrock
Takanori Gomi
Rampage Jackson

You lack perspective and knowledge of the sport.
Bj fought the best from 145 to 205 for a very long time.

Bj is a legend of the fight game. Yair is no joke and I've been impressed with him. I think yair is going to look spectacular against bj .
War bj though.

We're just trying to legitimise our sport a little bit. All the other big sports have had decades or centuries to build up legends, MMA wants to play too.

It's the most annoying thing about the sport to me. Whether it's Rogan saying "ever" all the time, or the meaningless hall of fame, or the fabricated hype. All of it feels very pro-wrestling.

I blame Joe Rogan partially for this. While I agree that the things these people do and accomplish are truly impressive he talks like every person and every thing is ONE OF THESE BEST IF NOT THESE BEST, EVER! When everyone is a legend it diminished the few who really are.

People tend to use "legend" and "GOAT" to the point where if someone is listed as one it becomes the norm as opposed to what it's supposed to be which is rare.

I think it being a young sport, especially one with rather well defined eras and certain niches carved out, actually makes it easier to consider someone a legend since it has been easier to stand out and easier to see their contributions and impact. I do think people get carried away with it but I don't really have a problem with most of the names mentioned in this thread or what people usually consider being a legend called as such. As time goes on, that's got to change and probably will but for the time being I don't think it's that big of a problem. GOAT talks are another story though.

Because it's so young there are a lot of pioneers, people who did stuff for the first time, a lot of that is forgotten.

It's the same as in boxing when you see a once great fighter get battered after he should be long retired and casuals say they looked like shit, you wish you could explain to people just how good the Chuck Liddells, BJ Penns, Tito Ortiz' and Randy Coutures were in the day

Cause people only talk about or really even remember the "legends". For every Randy Couture there are 100 Eugene Jacksons. Not to mention 1000 guys below that no one remembers.

It's sad to talk to people who only know Pedro Rizzo as the guy who facepalmed in Aldos corner after McGregor KOd him, rather than the beast he was as a fighter, but I suppose people could say the same about the Jack Dempseys etc of the world

Back