Is it just me or is Valentina Shevchenko...

Jeff D

At the end of the day...It's all entertainment
@White
Reaction score
One of the most underrated fighters in her division let alone Women's MMA. I don't know if underrated is the best term, more like not receiving the recognition she deserves. I feel as if the UFC should be pushing Valentina more. I mean the women hold 3 wins in Muay Thai against the current UFC Strawweight Champ, Joanna. Not to mention a dominant win over the Rousey Killer, Holly Holm. But also was able to go a full 3 rounds with current Bantamweight Champ, Amanda Nunes, which you can argue if it was a 5 round bout, Valentina may have won, based on her performance in the second half. You would think the UFC would be looking to give her the red carpet treatment and same push as these other stars (PVZ, Northcutt, etc.) Based on the facts at hand, should Valentina be taken more serious?

She should beat Pena (well I fooking hope she does)

One of the most underrated fighters in her division let alone Women's MMA. I don't know if underrated is the best term, more like not receiving the recognition she deserves. I feel as if the UFC should be pushing Valentina more. I mean the women hold 3 wins in Muay Thai against the current UFC Strawweight Champ, Joanna. Not to mention a dominant win over the Rousey Killer, Holly Holm. But also was able to go a full 3 rounds with current Bantamweight Champ, Amanda Nunes, which you can argue if it was a 5 round bout, Valentina may have won, based on her performance in the second half. You would think the UFC would be looking to give her the red carpet treatment and same push as these other stars (PVZ, Northcutt, etc.) Based on the facts at hand, should Valentina be taken more serious?
She's taken plenty serious, she's in the next #1 contender fight.

"Women's MMA" and "Underrated" do not belong in the same sentence.

She's a bit boring, and very quiet. So, branding ain't her forte.

She's not underrated at all. They made her the main on a stacked card and everybody wants her to get the title shot if she beats Pena.

Can't wait to watch her dismantle Pena. I think the skill level is just completely different.

To this day I do not know what she was thinking in Round 3 of the Nunes fight - not going for the finish.

She's my fav wmma fighter behind Joanna. Had the Nunes fight been 5 rounds, she could have possibly won. Her fight with Pena will tell us if she's ready for a shot at the title. Regardless, I see her holding a strap in the UFC one day.

She's taken plenty serious, she's in the next #1 contender fight.
I see where your coming from, but that had to be done essentially by default, Pena was basically the only option, she(aside from champ) were the only one in the top 6, not coming off of a loss, I just don't know fell as if the anticipation for this fight is there like when she fought Holms, due to the UFC machine not being totally behind it

Outside of sherdog maybe.
Most people here knows she's good.

People gonna be surprised when Pena beats her

Being highly skilled or talented as fighter doesn't mean that you're going to get promoted. Marketability has to do with a lot more than just a person's fighting style and ability, even, but it doesn't particularly help either when Valentina is a relatively smart counter-striker who's not going to throw too much if there's nothing coming at her. That's not typically what UFC fans want to see.

People gonna be surprised when Pena beats her
People's hate of Pena and dislike for her style clouds their judgment, this isn't a one-sided matchup at all. Pena is like a more aggressive Tate and we should all know how good Tate is (a lot of people/striking fanboys don't acknowledge that either though lol).

pena is gonna take her down and were her out. to scrappy

With her ass kickin' and gun shootin' Valentina is crazy marketable if they can get a belt on her. I agree it's nuts to look past Pena though. Valentina is by far the more talented fighter, but if Pena can take her down it's going to be a long night.

I'd agree with the TS if only Valentina had some/any semblance of power in her strikes. I'm convinced she could go 100% against my 74-year-old mother-in-law and not even make one bruise.

She's actually overrated... 2-1 and fighting for a title shot, alredy lost to the champion, and a lot of her won fights was against fighters that was their MMA debut and never fought again...

Valentina is a great fighter in all the areas you measure great fighters but is not a great finisher or has some of the particular skills needed to be great finisher. She always seems a little undersized as well for the division and that might be apparent when she faces a monster like Pena shortly. With that being said, wrestling/Jiu-jitsu prowess going to a higher level will make her deadly and tough to deal with going forward. Marketability will then take care of itself I believe.

Back