Who are the Top 5 Second Generation Welterweights?

therealbstevens

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
By "second generation" I am referring to the period after the Zuffa purchase but before the LW division really took hold in the UFC. Roughly 2002-2010, for the purchases of discussion.

BJs fight tonight got me thinking about where he ranks as a all time WW. This is the post-TUF 1 time period and is about the time period I became an MMA fan. Admittedly I didn't watch much beyond UFC at this point so I'm curious what others think. I don't think guys like BJ or even potentially Georges continuing to fight (and get beat) by today's fighters should impact their standing on lists like this. Here's my list.

Georges
Hughes
BJ
Serra
... not even sure I can name a 5th.. Josh Koscheck? Jake Shields?

GSP
Hughes
BJ
Nick Diaz
Condit
Shields
Jon Fitch

Cmon learn your Sherdog logic , all those guys lost a fight so they all suck always sucked & everyone they fought sucked .

GSP
Hughes
BJ
Nick Diaz
Jake Shields

HM: Serra, Fitch, Maia, Lytle, Ruthless

Ya gotta have Fitch on there, boss. The guy was the #2 WW in the world FOREVER. The Kos was top-notch, too. Thiago Alves when he was juiced to the tits and periodically making weight is a good one to have on there as well.

By "second generation" I am referring to the period after the Zuffa purchase but before the LW division really took hold in the UFC. Roughly 2002-2010, for the purchases of discussion.

BJs fight tonight got me thinking about where he ranks as a all time WW. This is the post-TUF 1 time period and is about the time period I became an MMA fan. Admittedly I didn't watch much beyond UFC at this point so I'm curious what others think. I don't think guys like BJ or even potentially Georges continuing to fight (and get beat) by today's fighters should impact their standing on lists like this. Here's my list.

Georges
Hughes
BJ
Serra
... not even sure I can name a 5th.. Josh Koscheck? Jake Shields?

C'mon man!

Back