Did GSP truly face much better competition than Anderson?

BigMuffler

Loli is love loli is life!
@Steel
Reaction score
This is often used as an argument in GSP's favor but is it really accurate? The WW division might have been more stacked overall but I'm not sure if guys like Fitch, Alves and Kos were really better than Anderson's competition. Hughes and Shields are the guys that stand out on GSP's resume (BJ being a clearly smaller guy) but even then are they that much better than Hendo and prime Vitor?

Anderson's best wins -

Hendo
Vitor
Chael
Marquardt
Okami
Maia
Franklin
Forrest (just after being LHW champion)

GSP's best wins -

Hughes
Shields
Hendricks
Condit
Diaz
Fitch
Alves
Kos
BJ

I'm not really seeing a huge difference in quality other than Hendricks and Condit being viewed more favorably due to being more recently relevant? GSP's are a little better I guess but not by a big degree...

Nope.

GSP has the most overrated resume in MMA history. Especially overrated by GSP fanboys.

Those opponents you listed are either one dimensional fighters or blown up LWs.

Anderson has a better resume.

GSP fought better guys by far.
Specifically which ones? I think Chael/Nate/Okami get underrated compared to Hendricks/Condit/Diaz since the latter 3 are more recently relevant or just popular in Nick's case.

Just looking at that list GSP definitely looks more solid. And i think if it was a bigger list the gap becomes bigger.

Anderson fought plenty of top guys too not at GSP's level.

Specifically which ones? I think Chael/Nate/Okami get underrated compared to Hendricks/Condit/Diaz since the latter 3 are more recently relevant or just popular in Nick's case.

Seems GSP fought more champs or future champs etc

Edit, inc StrikeForce champs

The way Hendricks is doing in his last couple of fights makes GSP look even weaker.

The argument comes from the winning streaks that many of those guys were on coming into the GSP fight

Better question is consistency, opponents career primes, and personal choices like Roids

I'm pretty sure guys like Hendo and Vitor and Franklin would beat the shit out of any of GSP's opponents

Yeah, GSP fought more recognizable fighters.

GSP turned champs into chumps.

Anyone who can't see GSP has a million times better resume is a fucking retard.

Hell yeah GSP fought better competition......

Hughes ...all time great
Penn ...all time great

Jake Sheilds hadnt lost in like 5 years when they fought...
Fitch was on a 16 fight win streak when they fought
Condit was on a roll when they fought....
Alves was looking like a beast at that time..
Nick Diaz is legit
....koshek...sherk...Trigg ...Parysian....etc etc

and he straight up DOMINATED
He didnt lose rounds....

and he conducted himself like a true professional and with honor....which doesnt have to do with the topic,but adds to the total package...
GSP was the man

Nope.

GSP has the most overrated resume in MMA history. Especially overrated by GSP fanboys.

Those opponents you listed are either one dimensional fighters or blown up LWs.

Anderson has a better resume.

Totally agree.
He took over a dinosaur division.

His competition all was either 1-D or had obvious weaknesses. The entire division was like this.

GSP himself was really great though.

This is often used as an argument in GSP's favor but is it really accurate? The WW division might have been more stacked overall but I'm not sure if guys like Fitch, Alves and Kos were really better than Anderson's competition. Hughes and Shields are the guys that stand out on GSP's resume (BJ being a clearly smaller guy) but even then are they that much better than Hendo and prime Vitor?

Anderson's best wins -

Hendo
Vitor
Chael
Marquardt
Okami
Maia
Franklin
Forrest (just after being LHW champion)

GSP's best wins -

Hughes
Shields
Hendricks
Condit
Diaz
Fitch
Alves
Kos
BJ

I'm not really seeing a huge difference in quality other than Hendricks and Condit being viewed more favorably due to being more recently relevant? GSP's are a little better I guess but not by a big degree...
No offense to Forrest, but he doesn't belong on any list of best wins for that fight. He should not even have been fighting. He had been knocked out in training (twice, I think) and he was in no shape to fight Silva.

On the other hand, because of the size difference, I think it just might possibly be fair to say BJ doesn't belong on GSP's list (all due respect to Penn.) Depending upon how you want to compare them, I think it's fair to say it's pretty close. Does it matter? Weren't they both great? How hard is it to be a fan of both?

Edit:
I mean, is this a troll thread intended to get everyone to shred the competition these guys faced, like how Maia had almost no striking when he fought Silva and he is way beyond that now, for example? Why? Isn't that automatically disrespectful to all those other fighters?

No, he didn't.

There's this myth that the WW division was stacked with talent while the MW division wasn't but it's a farce. Both faced strong competition but the talent level of both divisions and of their competition was about the same.

While I respect GSP for his record, to me Anderson brought innovation and dominance. Anderson always had a glaring weakness, but pulled out the win anyways. That to me made him such a better champion in my eyes.

Back