Cowboy's late-career resurgence is something to witness

BennyOcean

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
What is going on with this guy? Based on his age and the number of fights he's been in, you'd expect him to be on the decline, yet that is not what we're seeing. It's reminiscent of Anthony Johnson's return to prominence after going up in weight. What is happening here? This is weird, it's hard to deny that. Does it have something to do with USADA and the reordering of the UFC pecking order now that the fighters are forced to be drug-free? That would be my hypothesis. Thoughts?

I had serious doubts about Cerrone at 170, but he's finished a bunch of tough dudes at WW.

It's crazy. Cote, Story, Brown are all tough as fuck and he finished all of them brutally.

I love this dude. He needs a top 5-7 WW in his next fight.

WAR COWBOY!

Last edited:
Cowboy beats everyone except top 3 guys. It's always been this way.

Moving up in weight and finishing tough freaking guys too, crazy.

Cerrone vs Gastelum now would be interesting if he's allowed at 170, I think Gastelum takes it though.

He stepped up his trolling game too ;)

But, yeah man, Cowboy is an absolute warrior and while I still think he stumbles at belt level, I stand in awe of his achievements and work ethic.

like Lawler career... just when you think you have seen everything they have to offer... boom, they just get better than ever, beating everyone, and doing some of the best performance of their lives at an age you assume they would be declining

? his career is the same it's always been. great fighter but not elite level fighter. If he fought rank 7ish + at LW, he'd have the same results

I've always really liked the guy. But kinda like Bisping... He would stumble at exactly the wrong time.

But watching WW Cerrone is fuck loads of fun. When he beat the Predator ( easily ). Who at one time fought Silva for the MW belt. You had to sit up and notice.

Looking forward to his next fight, with great anticipation.

i think its a matter of not cutting so much weight

his major problem for his pre-ufc career was that he was a technical striker but seemed to have very little power, oliveira was the first time he actually finished someone with strikes. then his power started getting much better as he got older and filled out a bit more

then now that he moved up a weight class, hes kept his speed and fluidity but his strikes are devastating

What resurgence? Cowboy's been doing this his whole career.

Yea, never even lost 2 in a row. What exactly is he coming back from? I guessing he gets Lawler next or a big money main event rematch with Nate.

He's improved his boxing and punching power. Also wrestling to complement the slick submissions he's always had. Age isn't always an impediment to working on other aspects of your game that are relatively weaker. It's not like he's 40 either. He should age well, because he's always been more about skills than about athleticism.

Yea, never even lost 2 in a row. What exactly is he coming back from? I guessing he gets Lawler next or a big money main event rematch with Nate.
It seemed like he fell out of title contention for a while and now he's back in the hunt in a higher weight class. I'd consider that noteworthy.

His skills have crossovered well into WW. But this is not a resurgence. He always beats #15 through #6 ranked fighters, to then get embarrassed by the top contenders. But let's see if his fortunes turn at WW, when he faces the cream of the crop.

USADA power

it levels the playing field

that said, he'll still fold under pressure. nate would kick his ass again

It seemed like he fell out of title contention for a while and now he's back in the hunt in a higher weight class. I'd consider that noteworthy.
Fell out of title contention ? he fought for a title exactly 1 year ago and lost but has won every fight since

He fought for the LW title less than a year ago and was one of the names in discussion to fight Eddie when he won the belt. When was he out of contention?

Back