Interim belts are general BS, but since the UFC is unreliable, it is actually good for fighters

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I always disagreed with the idea of having interim belts when the champion is healthy. But on a second thought, in a company like the UFC (as unreliable as it gets), this idea is actually good for the fighters.

With this new "promotional interim belt" policy, guys like Ferguson, Maia, Romero, Khabib, Jacare, Holloway, and others could've guaranteed their shot at the true title long ago.

Interim belts don´t mean shit for us fans, but for the fighters it means at least their guarantee of a real shot at the title. Even in terms of preparation it makes difference, cause everybody would know who they would fight next....

Who should be fighting for the title next? Khabib or Ferguson? Maia or Wonderboy again? You see, these situations are not clear, and I believe they should be. It would be better for everyone.

Here are some examples of recent fights that could´ve been for the "promotional interim belt" IMO:
Ferguson vs RDA
Romero vs Jacare
Maia vs Condit
Khabib vs Johnson

Look at some of the interim champions we´ve had.
images
gI_146105_UFC189_4245.png

Carlos-Condit2.jpg
shane-carwin-5.jpg

antonio_nogueira_prev.jpg

What are your thoughts, sherdog?

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-10_18-7-14.jpeg
    upload_2016-12-10_18-7-14.jpeg
    13.3 KB · Views: 3
  • upload_2016-12-10_18-7-18.jpeg
    upload_2016-12-10_18-7-18.jpeg
    13.3 KB · Views: 12
  • upload_2016-12-10_18-7-53.jpeg
    upload_2016-12-10_18-7-53.jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 16
My thoughts? Looks like Carwin is holding a regular sized belt with a fancy buckle.

I agree. How many times has Dana said "Winner gets a shot!" and it doesn't happen? Interim belts force UFC to be accountable.

They are just a silly way of trying to save a PPV, they don't have enough actual title fights, so they need interim belts for that reason.

All Interim champions are regarded by UFC as legit champions. Technically, on paper there is no difference between those two belts. It means that chamipnship is disputed, but both fighter have a right to call themselves champions.

The only reign I disagree with was Renan Barao. He should have been promoted to undisputed champion much much earlier.

It's a sad occasion when you're forced to say a bad idea actually has merit because it prevents an even worse one from happening. But you're right, an interim belt at least gives some insurance against the fickleness of matchmakers.

In the current case in featherweight, I think it also serves as a not-so-subtle reminder to Aldo that he better not be pulling out of bouts with injuries much anymore, cause what was done unto Conor can certainly be done unto him.

If a fighter is injured for a long period, I can see having an Interim belt...But having it for #1 contender is for the hype and ppv, not for the actual fighter...They may as well make a Pre-Interim belt for the #2 contender as well...

Doesn't matter the belt or title. Fans know who the real champion is.

Joe Frazier knew he wasn't the champ until he beat Ali

They really should start styling fights as number one contender bouts. That's as good of a promotional angle as the fake belt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back