Simple Question About Bantamweight and Flyweight

FedorFanBoy

SLEEP EAT MMA REPEAT
Banned
Reaction score
I see a lot of weight cut threads in last few hours.

If weight cutting was banned would Flyweight exist? How many bantamweights are naturally that light? I have a little expierience in this matter and guy that trains 6 - 8 times a week on all sorts of supplements cant be so slim.

Cruz is 1.73m and fights in 61 kg. I think Cruz cuts 8kg of water and some fat during his camp.

Mighty Mouse looks like 1 big muscle he is 1.60m and fights at 57kg. I think he cuts at least 8 to 10 kg to his fights.

Also i think people overvalue weight advantage in all classes below welterweight and I will tell you why i think like that.

My english may be not on academic level but I'm trying my best so dont laugh. |

I can agree that someone like Luke Rockhold against Michael Bisping got a big weight advantage. He looked much bigger than him so it would be easier to keep him on the ground or push him against the cage and keep him in the clinch.

But in fight in featherweight like Frankie Edgar against Jeremy Stephens they strength was very similiar so its hard for both of them to keep them on the ground. Frankie scored some takedowns but wasnt able to capitalize much on them. I just think : the lower the weight class - weight get less important - wrestling is less effective.

But does anyone saw how hard it is to keep top control in weight classes below welterweight? The strength dont grow with every pound of mass.

Guy that weights 65kg can bench press as much as guy that weights 75 - 80kg.

John Dodson squat
Screen-Shot-2015-01-15-at-9.34.05-AM.png

Okay so again with my question : Would flyweight and bantamweight exist if weight cut wasnt allowed?

Also I like both of these weight classes, very explosive.

No, because everyone cuts weight.

No one goes in on fight night weighing 125 lbs.

Just abolish them. I don't read, I just assumed the contents..

Promote Cruz to FW champion, fire the rest - but get them jobs in a chocolate factory as compensation.

Alright I'm going to go back and actually read the thread now, but my first thought is that you don't understand the meaning of "simple question."

Every fighter would be about two weight classes higher

So no
Probs not.

I like watching the little guys because they have tons of skill and never gas. And with the 4 oz gloves they can actually knock each other out. The biggest knock against flyweight is that MM just smokes everyone, and there is no time to develope challengers, because as soon as someone looks even somewhat decent, they are thrown into a title fight, because there just isn't anyone else.

Good question. I'd say no... but if weight cutting is banned (not likely), then everyone moves up in weight anyway. Wouldn't they just re-assign weights to all of the classes? I.e. Flyweight is now 135, Bantamweight is 145, etc.

I see a lot of weight cut threads in last few hours.

If weight cutting was banned would Flyweight exist? How many bantamweights are naturally that light? I have a little expierience in this matter and guy that trains 6 - 8 times a week on all sorts of supplements cant be so slim.

Cruz is 1.73m and fights in 61 kg. I think Cruz cuts 8kg of water and some fat during his camp.

Mighty Mouse looks like 1 big muscle he is 1.60m and fights at 57kg. I think he cuts at least 8 to 10 kg to his fights.

Also i think people overvalue weight advantage in all classes below welterweight and I will tell you why i think like that.

My english may be not on academic level but I'm trying my best so dont laugh. |

I can agree that someone like Luke Rockhold against Michael Bisping got a big weight advantage. He looked much bigger than him so it would be easier to keep him on the ground or push him against the cage and keep him in the clinch.

But in fight in featherweight like Frankie Edgar against Jeremy Stephens they strength was very similiar so its hard for both of them to keep them on the ground. Frankie scored some takedowns but wasnt able to capitalize much on them. I just think : the lower the weight class - weight get less important - wrestling is less effective.

But does anyone saw how hard it is to keep top control in weight classes below welterweight? The strength dont grow with every pound of mass.

Guy that weights 65kg can bench press as much as guy that weights 75 - 80kg.

John Dodson squat
Screen-Shot-2015-01-15-at-9.34.05-AM.png

Okay so again with my question : Would flyweight and bantamweight exist if weight cut wasnt allowed?

Also I like both of these weight classes, very explosive.
You have absolutely excellent English dude

- Probably not, since everyone cuts weight.

- Still bullshit that a guy at 65 can bench as much as a guy at 80 kilos.

- technical Champs are more dominant at lower weightclasses because they have less KO power. Also looks like they can go on forever, since they rarely get hurt the way bigger guys do.

Back