Pettis lived with his nutritionist for 10 weeks, so how did this happen?

Macalpinerules

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So if I heard Pettis correctly he had a nutritionist living with him for 10 weeks, watching his diet and maintaining his weight so that the fight week weight cut would go smoothly. Despite all that he misses weight and was in such bad health a doctor insisted he stop cutting.

Who's to blame here? Is it Pettis (he was eating steak and eggs a week out)? Is it the nutritionist (If I pay you to live with me for 10 weeks I fuckin expect to make weight even with this heavy stick I've got in my pants)? Is it Duke Roufous (another one of his guys died trying to make weight and now this dibacle. Not to mention I've heard rumors that Woodley goes near death to make weight. Roufous as the leader of his gym needs to have a talk with his guys about cutting)?

Not a real nutritionist. I went from 240 to 170, but that doesn't mean I know anything about how to best prepare an athlete for a fight

Weight cutting is easily the biggest problem in this sport.

What these guys are doing is extremely bad for them and completely "unnatural".

Every so often, their bodies just start to shut down and refuse to lose more weight. Gastellum said the same thing as Pettis, his body just stopped responding normally. Stopped sweating, temperature fluctuations etc.

All this 24 hours or so away from having an extremely high level cage fight.

It's fucking ridiculous.

So if I heard Pettis correctly he had a nutritionist living with him for 10 weeks, watching his diet and maintaining his weight so that the fight week weight cut would go smoothly. Despite all that he misses weight and was in such bad health a doctor insisted he stop cutting.

Who's to blame here? Is it Pettis (he was eating steak and eggs a week out)? Is it the nutritionist (If I pay you to live with me for 10 weeks I fuckin expect to make weight even with this heavy stick I've got in my pants)? Is it Duke Roufous (another one of his guys died trying to make weight and now this dibacle. Not to mention I've heard rumors that Woodley goes near death to make weight. Roufous as the leader of his gym needs to have a talk with his guys about cutting)?
Knock em the fuck out TS.

Meanwhile Bernard Hopkins who is now in his fifties and has been fighting for decades has never missed weight in his whole career. It's called self discipline.

A shameful display from Pettis.

Sounds like his body just quit sweating, it happens.
This. It's not that black and white.

Only on sherdog can a bunch of obese knobs slam a guy for his nutrition. These guys haven't seen 148 on the scale since they were 7 years old

Crazy thing is Pettis is not a big guy, he is quite slim and not overly tall. He was always one of the smaller LW's. I am surprised he is struggling so much to make 145, he looked like death in his 145 debut too and that was a huge struggle.

It's annoying when people use (brackets) too much in a post

those ugly ass chest tattoos contributed to the extra weight.

http://www.loutrition.net/what-we-do/ The best kind of "about me" section is the one without ANY kind of information about this guy's background, schools, nuffin. Good thing the link to buy protein powders is right next to it.

These MMA fighters and their managements aren't the brightest bunch to fall for this quack

pettis was probably lazy as hell

as bisping said, he even came in 148 when this wasn't actually his lowest as trying to cut weight

Only on sherdog can a bunch of obese knobs slam a guy for his nutrition. These guys haven't seen 148 on the scale since they were 7 years old

I'm not an obese slob and I'm not trying to slam his nutrition.

What I'm "slamming" is the practice of slowly starving yourself during an arduous training camp, then dehydrating yourself to the point where your body stops sweating, you start gagging and get light headed (Pettis' words, not mine), all in preparation for a very high level MMA fight.

Doing that is fucking absurd and incredibly unhealthy for the fighter, for a myriad of reasons.

I understand weight cutting is ALWAYS going to be a part of the sport in one way or another, but there has to be a limit. Guys like Cerrone are doing it right. Coming in to fight week happy and healthy, with only a couple of pounds to lose. More fighters need to follow the example of fighters like him. Frankie Edgar, Robert Whittaker and Rumble are other prominent examples of fighters fighting much closer to their natural weight and doing very, very well because of it.

The UFC also needs to be more proactive in combating the extreme weight cutting seen in MMA. If the UFC can implement random drug testing, year round, across their entire roster, then I'm sure they can find a way to try to monitor a guys weight. If you can't stay near your weight class year round, you're in the wrong fucking weight class.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back