Weight issues

Ingjr

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I thought Pettis explained the weight cut issue pretty clearly. Can everyone now see that Cyborg might, just might not be able to cut to 135. There is only so far a body can be push and still function. Lots of weight issues on tonights card and looks like the new weigh-ins rules might not be as perfect solution as once thought. I'm still in favor of same day weigh-ins. Thoughts?

Cyborg could lose some muscle. I just don't think she's willing to. But yeah, if there was a way to completely eliminate weight cutting I'd be all for that.

That's just it. Losing muscle isn't as easy as water or fat loss. Pettis probably could have lost some muscle too it's just not safe for most fighters and now Dana says a womens 145lb. class is in the works with or without Cyborg. Does he really think 145 without Cyborg is viable. I don't.

That's just it. Losing muscle isn't as easy as water or fat loss. Pettis probably could have lost some muscle too it's just not safe for most fighters and now Dana says a womens 145lb. class is in the works with or without Cyborg. Does he really think 145 without Cyborg is viable. I don't.
When you have as much as cyborg and being a female it gets substantially easier. Just eat in a slight caloric deficit and keep your protein low to none existing while doing lots of cardio. And if you have to do weights for whatever reason, keep it high reps imo. She could 10 lbs of muscle that way and still be stronger than most chicks.

Pettis made the weight in his last fight. I didn't see whatever explanation he made for missing it this time, but if he gained a bunch of muscle, that is his own damn fault. Of course muscle weight is harder to cut than water or fat, but if you have too much muscle to fight at a certain weight, then fight at a higher weight. And if you really want to fight at a lower weight, lose some muscle. Don't try to lose that muscle in the week before the weigh in, that's nearly impossible. Lose it in the 3-5 months prior to your fight.

Last edited:
Of course it's unwise for a fighter who's been competing in his/her "natural" weight for so many years and has undergone multiple weight cuts so far to suddenly drop down a class. There's only so much a body can take, especially when it gets older.

That's just it. Losing muscle isn't as easy as water or fat loss.

Well it is easy though, you just lay in bed and do nothing and your muscle wastes away.
It's not so easy if your active and training however.

Well it is easy though, you just lay in bed and do nothing and your muscle wastes away.
It's not so easy if your active and training however.
Depends on how much you currently have. Your cortisol levels, how much steady state cardio you're doing, your protein and calorie intake. Unless you're some how messing with your endocrine system, losing muscle is a simple science just like fat loss. It's only harder to do because it goes against what most people want to achieve.

Depends on how much you currently have. Your cortisol levels, how much steady state cardio you're doing, your protein and calorie intake. Unless you're some how messing with your endocrine system, losing muscle is a simple science just like fat loss. It's only harder to do because it goes against what most people want to achieve.

I still think laying in bed and atrophying it off is 'easier'.
No one really drops a weight class in boxing or MMA (unless they were fat) so it can't be that easy to do.

I still think laying in bed and atrophying it off is 'easier'.
No one really drops a weight class in boxing or MMA (unless they were fat) so it can't be that easy to do.
Dropping weight class is all about advantage. If you have a lot of muscle to take from it's easier, but no one wants to go down and let go of their strength advantage. Palhares went down to one 170 and lost a bit of muscle. Cyborg could stand to lose 5-10lbs and still be more jacked than most fighters.

What can he do if she refuses to fight?

Since Cyborg is 40% titanium and only 60% flesh it's a no brainer that she would have issues with the cut to 135, or was it 60% horse meat and 40% woman, I can't recall....what evs.

Back