A beautiful interim belt

Mr Wings

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Sometimes while I'm trying to get to sleep, I occupy my mind with trying to think of my top 10 favorite fights of all time. One that often comes up is Nogueira vs CroCop.

Tonight I watched it again and remembered that it was for an interim belt. It took me back to the days when interim belts weren't a joke, or at least they weren't as much of a joke.

No disrespect intended towards Holloway or Pettis, but THAT was definitely a fight between two men worthy of being called champions.

Nogueira vs CroCop, Pride Final Conflict 2003, in front of 67,450 fans. What a fight, what a card.

IMG_3422.JPG

pettis on a title fight with his streak is a joke

missing weight for that joke made it more of a joke

IDK

but how on earth Pettis deserved a TS?
The FW division has been on a hold for too long. There are no options. Pettis fight will sell as a headliner on ppv. There have been more than few title fights this year that were made for business.

The FW division has been on a hold for too long. There are no options. Pettis fight will sell as a headliner on ppv. There have been more than few title fights this year that were made for business.

Winning a title fight proves a challenger was worthy of the title shot. Couture vs Sylvia is a classic example (Couture coming off two KO losses to Liddell and a year layoff starches big Timmeh). Conor vs Alvarez is a modern example, IMO. But you're not wrong.

What are some other fights you felt were for business reasons this year? Maybe Overeem getting the title shot was a bit of a popularity contest.

Winning a title fight proves a challenger was worthy of the title shot. Couture vs Sylvia is a classic example (Couture coming off two KO losses to Liddell and a year layoff starches big Timmeh). Conor vs Alvarez is a modern example, IMO. But you're not wrong.

What are some other fights you felt were for business reasons this year? Maybe Overeem getting the title shot was a bit of a popularity contest.

Are you saying if Pettis wins then he was worthy of a title shot ?

Bisping vs Hendo is one example to your question.

Styles make fights. Usually we witness someone move up the ranks and beat 2 or 3 people in top 5 usually to claim a title shot. Its possible for a fighter to lose to someone in a top 5 fight but still be able to beat the champion because of the match up.

A real champion like Jon jones, DJ, Cruz, Conor at FW, and Miocic (slowly getting there) are true champs because they have faced every challenge put infront of them and cleared most if not all of the top 10 guys.

For this reason Bisping, Conor at LW, Cormier(debatable) and Miocic have alot to prove and IMO are not certified as true champions.

IDK

but how on earth Pettis deserved a TS?

Well IF he wins he'll be 2-0 ok only 1-0 in the division because of missing weight but that's still 1 more than Conor managed at LW before his title shot, I assume you were fine with 1-1 v Nate = LW title shot?
Pettis is a former LW belt holder ffs, it's not like he's some no hoper with no skill or ability.

But if he can't make 145, there's no point.

pettis on a title fight with his streak is a joke

missing weight for that joke made it more of a joke
At least it's a better streak then what Frankie was on when he got one.

Are you saying if Pettis wins then he was worthy of a title shot ?

Bisping vs Hendo is one example to your question.

Styles make fights. Usually we witness someone move up the ranks and beat 2 or 3 people in top 5 usually to claim a title shot. Its possible for a fighter to lose to someone in a top 5 fight but still be able to beat the champion because of the match up.

A real champion like Jon jones, DJ, Cruz, Conor at FW, and Miocic (slowly getting there) are true champs because they have faced every challenge put infront of them and cleared most if not all of the top 10 guys.

For this reason Bisping, Conor at LW, Cormier(debatable) and Miocic have alot to prove and IMO are not certified as true champions.
I think you are a little hard on Stipe and Bisping.. (in 2016) They did just have the most difficult and impressive 8 months in UFC history, and possibly MMA history..

Who else could Holloway fight?

Dont say Aldo.
Aldo,

The winner of this fight should have then fought Aldo for the VACANT FW belt.

Bro first off, your Canadian so sorry about that and secondly since your Canadian you must be going to the fight and are pissed by all the shit going on.

Look bro, you guys should of had your GSP on the card but in no way should this fight be for an interim title, especially since Anthony missed weight.

And its still a good card.

I think you are a little hard on Stipe and Bisping.. (in 2016) They did just have the most difficult and impressive 8 months in UFC history, and possibly MMA history..
Yeah no doubt Bisping showed that he has the heart of a champion. He can only train and push himself so much. There are guys in top 5 even top 8 that could very well end Bisping's career as a title holder hence my harsh words there.

As for Stipe, he is on his way to making his case and is ahead of Bisping in that regards.

Well IF he wins he'll be 2-0 ok only 1-0 in the division because of missing weight but that's still 1 more than Conor managed at LW before his title shot, I assume you were fine with 1-1 v Nate = LW title shot?
Pettis is a former LW belt holder ffs, it's not like he's some no hoper with no skill or ability.

But if he can't make 145, there's no point.
what does connor have to do with this?

also, connor fought at WW against nate: he was 0-0 at LW in the UFC when given the title shot
FYI nate is 2-0 against connort

what does connor have to do with this?

also, connor fought at WW against nate: he was 0-0 at LW in the UFC when given the title shot
FYI nate is 2-0 against connort

Who the fuck is connor? He has nothing to do with anything I've posted as I've no idea who that is.
Try reading if you're going to quote, it's not that hard. Pettis if he wins is 1-0 at FW WHICH IS 1 MORE WIN THAN CONOR HAD AT LW.
FYI Nate is 1-1 with Conor, try googling their records and not what you imagine the score was.

Back