Upper body takedowns underused in the UFC?

theincognito

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
It's always spamming double legs nowadays. Hopefully we start to see some upper body takedowns regularly

23+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Antonio+Rodrigo+Nogueira+III_xvid_001.gif

13+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Heath+Herring_xvid_001.gif

UFC+44+-+Randy+Couture+X+Tito+Ortiz.gif

qprp1f.jpg

tumblr_n642czZmh11rofocqo1_500.gif

5.gif

Upper body takedowns tend to be lower percentage, hence why you don't see them as much in MMA. Leg attacks are where it's at.

Bodylock TDs are fairly common amongst high level wrestlers / grapplers.

they are higher risk for reversal and very hard to do unless your opponent wants to wrestle you back. if they keep their hips away and low, maybe even posting on your hip, theres not a whole lot you do

Jones and Khabib are pretty slick with them.

notice how old the footage of your clips are..... you will not see a lot of body locks unless there is a very significant skill gap in wrestling between fighters

TS, you must add Kharitonov takedown against Ninja in your thread, it's just beautiful (even if it's more judo style)

Legit question yo; how much of that first gif is just pure strength vs technique? Fedor is so fast that it's hard to tell exactly what he's doing. It just looks like he's tossing Nog like his little brother.

Khabib and Maia have some good ones.

Romero v Machida was a good one if I remember rightly.

Would find a gif but I'm sitting in a toilet cubicle at work on my phone. Not the easiest place to find them.

Legit question yo; how much of that first gif is just pure strength vs technique? Fedor is so fast that it's hard to tell exactly what he's doing. It just looks like he's tossing Nog like his little brother.

It was a mixture of strength and timing. But mostly timing, IMO

I like the one romero did on weidman and took his back

Romero v Machida was a good one if I remember rightly.

Would find a gif but I'm sitting in a toilet cubicle at work on my phone. Not the easiest place to find them.

QuarrelsomeNeedyCrayfish.gif

Dudes that fight TD style in the UFC come from wrestling not judo or sambo. So they use double and single legs.

Also most of your gifs show horrible technique where brute strength takes the dude down. Nice Fedor timed toss.

Dudes that fight TD style in the UFC come from wrestling not judo or sambo. So they use double and single legs.

Also most of your gifs show horrible technique where brute strength takes the dude down. Nice Fedor timed toss.

When applied properly, upper-body takedowns take way less energy than lower-body ones.

I think its just a specific skill set and comes with its own risks if done wrong. You do see the occasional failed attempt and they often end up giving their back.

If they allow knees to a downed opponent anytime soon we might see a switch away from a shoot on the legs to something more upright

When applied properly, upper-body takedowns take way less energy than lower-body ones.

I'll confirm with my bjj tutor and his black belt judo national team tutor on Thursday if strength is a factor which is what I stated. Not energy. Level changes will cost you energy. And a supplex is much more tiring than a double leg.

Back