Wait, how is Aldo champ? What's the point of this interim?

he was interim champion, promoted to undisputed with Conor stripped.

Purpose of the interim is to continue with having Aldo vs Someone for a unification bout, also to make Holloway/Pettis 5 rounds.

Really not that difficult of a situation.

The point of the interim is in case aldo pulls out which is like 50-50.

So dumb. They gave the belt to a guy that keeps saying he's retired unless he gets McGregor. Which means you'll have to strip him and hand the belt over to another guy.

It's only half an interim

its very simple, ufc prefer that for someone to receive the belt they must fight for it, so its best for them to make top contenders fight for interim belt and then the winner will fight jose aldo and the winner will be the official champion with no asterisks.

he was interim champion, promoted to undisputed with Conor stripped.

Purpose of the interim is to continue with having Aldo vs Someone for a unification bout, also to make Holloway/Pettis 5 rounds.

Really not that difficult of a situation.

That makes no sense, Holloway Pettis is a main event and is 5 rounds regardless of a belt being on the line.

It is - a #1 contender fight. Why would you need to invent a fake, one-fight temporary interim belt for a #1 contender match?

The entire point of 'interim' literally means for an 'intervening period' which would describe a time such as that the champion is unavailable. That isn't remotely the case.

when the hell did this happen? im so confused why more belts?
But I think Aldo is still game af you saw how he calmly countered Edgar. I thought that was impressive. Maybe not what MMA fans want but he is still great.

its to save 206 after cormier pulled out they had to make the main event for somekinda belt

aldo became interm at 200 when he fought frankie cause it was obvious conor couldnt make the weight

It's just so they can have a "Title fight" as a headliner for the event. The UFC was treating the Toronto card as a fairly big card (potential GSP landing spot, a LHW title fight, etc.) and when those two fights fell apart, they needed something marketable for the main event. So they made up a bullshit title that makes no sense, and then it all blew up in their face when Pettis came in over.

That makes no sense, Holloway Pettis is a main event and is 5 rounds regardless of a belt being on the line.

It is - a #1 contender fight. Why would you need to invent a fake, one-fight temporary interim belt for a #1 contender match?

The entire point of 'interim' literally means for an 'intervening period' which would describe a time such as that the champion is unavailable. That isn't remotely the case.

it wasn't booked for 5 rounds, so making it main event on short notice wouldn't promote it to 5 rounds, like it hasn't before.

they should make kabib interm at 55 and some number 1 contenders tony vs eddie rda vs edson even bring cowboy into the mix he said he would come back to 55 for the right fight but the ufc aint going to do that and have 3 killers waiting for conor then conor would be the pull out merchant

instead there going to make two of the best that really each deserve a title shot regardless tony and kabib take each other out

This topic as been beaten to death and if you were just following common sports newz you would have an inkling of what maybe going on and why the FW division looks out of order and why a interim belt is needed to make it look a little better.

Interesting thing I just realized about Aldo: he was handed the inaugural FW belt, handed back the belt after CM was stripped, and if Pettis wins tomorrow Aldo becomes the undisputed FW champ without getting a win.

I'm a fan, I just found this interesting.

Back