something has to be done about weight cutting, but what.

Imalive

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
fighters putting their bodies through hell 24 hours before one of the most grueling athletic competitions isn't really good for the fighters or fans. Everyone cuts weight so we end up seeing the same guys fighting each that we would if they didn't cut in the first place.

what can be done to fix it?

Last edited:
Dana should Cut one of their fingers if they miss weight?

Immediately before weighing in fighters should have to produce a set quantity of urine to prove they are not extremely dehydrated. A piss in...

Same day weighins. Or have a set limit that a fighter can't weigh more than in the cage and have a cage side scale.

And as far as same day weighins go, if someone fights dehydrated, they deserve whatever consequence happens

Handle it like collegiate wrestling... problem solved

Same day weighins. Or have a set limit that a fighter can't weigh more than in the cage and have a cage side scale.

And as far as same day weighins go, if someone fights dehydrated, they deserve whatever consequence happens

But we all know they will do that. We don't want any of these dudes dieting in there.

On top of the 20% penalty, give the fighter an automatic point deduction going into the fight.

Either:

1. Fight-time weigh-ins, removing the ability to rehydrate, thus removing any reason to dehydrate in the first place

or

2. Remove weight classes. Just take weights of respective fighters into consideration when booking fight, to avoid mismatches. Belts would have to go too

15% purse deduction per pound missed, automatic firing if the amount is greater than or equal to 100%.

what can be done to fiction it?

- Hey Dana, I want to fight at that new weight even though I'm already cutting weight, is it okay?
- No.

- Hey Dana, I know I missed weight last time, can I still fight at the same weightclass?
- No.

They really should assess everyone's individual ability to make certain weight. It would still be easier than having written rules about how much you are supposed to weight at a random number of days before the fight.

But we all know they will do that. We don't want any of these dudes dieting in there.
I want good fights between fighters who don't worry about cutting water.
Imagine if fighters spend the time and money on training that they do on cutting weight

Execute any fighter who shows up fight night weighing any more than 5-10 lbs heavier than their weigh in weight. Just lob their head off on the spot. Or, same day weigh ins. If they die because they're stupid enough to cut that much weight and fight the same day, then that's on them. Also the disadvantage from severe dehydration should be worse than the mass advantage for same day weigh ins. You sort of leave it to the fighters to realize they need to stop cutting in that situation.

Either:

1. Fight-time weigh-ins, removing the ability to rehydrate, thus removing any reason to dehydrate in the first place

or

2. Remove weight classes. Just take weights of respective fighters into consideration when booking fight, to avoid mismatches. Belts would have to go too
I know that #2 would be a huge deviation from the norm, but I think it would lead to much better fights.

Back