Financial penalty for missing weight should be increased

taugrim

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Right now the penalty for missing weight is 20%.

The problem is that the penalty isn't sufficiently penalizing the wrong behavior. There may be fighters who know that they aren't going to make weight, so instead of taxing their bodies through the brutal process, they come in heavy and hydrated, pay the 20% fine, but are less drained on fight night.

One really easy way to increase the accountability for making weight is to increase the penalty to, say, 50%. That would deter fighters from making unrealistic late weight cuts or trying to fight in a weight class they would struggle mightily to make weight at.

The other approach would be to scale the penalty based on how far weight is missed. So if you miss by 10 pounds, you get a massive penalty compared to someone who only missed by 5 pounds or 1 pound. This is the more complex solution.

Maybe a free kick to nuts before fight starts

No. There is no need to increase the penalty. 20% is already a lot when you take into account how much of the purse fighter's end up with after taxes and the numerous cost of training.

Automatic point deduction going into the fight?

Right now the penalty for missing weight is 20%.

The problem is that the penalty isn't sufficiently penalizing the wrong behavior. There may be fighters who know that they aren't going to make weight, so instead of taxing their bodies through the brutal process, they come in heavy and hydrated, pay the 20% fine, but are less drained on fight night.

One really easy way to increase the accountability for making weight is to increase the penalty to, say, 50%. That would deter fighters from making unrealistic late weight cuts or trying to fight in a weight class they would struggle mightily to make weight at.

The other approach would be to scale the penalty based on how far weight is missed. So if you miss by 10 pounds, you get a massive penalty compared to someone who only missed by 5 pounds or 1 pound. This is the more complex solution.

Not making weight is not making weight same as being pregnant or not. No point making it a scaling penalty.

No. There is no need to increase the penalty. 20% is already a lot when you take into account how much of the purse fighter's end up with after taxes and the numerous cost of training.

So I believe in general fighters should be paid more than they are, or at least that the UFC should pay a more comparable % of revenues to the athletes as with other sports.

That being said, 20% is not enough of a penalty.

Max Holloway did his job and came in on-weight. Pettis came in 3 pounds over, which is a lot.

If they make the penalty 50%, I think it would drastically reduce the number of ocurrences of missing weight.

If they make the penalty 50%, I think it would drastically reduce the number of ocurrences of missing weight.

Exactly this.

I know 50% would be a harsh penalty, but that's the whole point.

I say off with a baby toe
mandatory glassectomy

jacob-volkmann-5.jpg

I don't see an issue with 50% for all subsequent offenses, but 20% initially is steep anyway. For what it's worth, I don't think fighters missing weight win the majority of the time.

50% first offence.

75% second offence, and sent up to the next division ( Can't really take all their money. They do have expenses ).

Make them fight at least 3 times at the higher division before allowing them to drop again. If they go back down and miss weight. 75% fine, and permanently moved to a higher weight class.

If they are serious about having fighters make weight. Have stricter rules. Same with eye pokes, and nut shots.

Weight cutting should be banned anyway.

I like this but would change it to the percent of what they missed times 10.

So if a 185er misses weight by 10lbs = 10/185 = 5.4% x 10 = ~50%. Which seems like a very reasonable fine for fucking up that bad. Let it happen a couple of times and people will automatically start making weight.

50% first offence.

75% second offence, and sent up to the next division ( Can't really take all their money. They do have expenses ).

Make them fight at least 3 times at the higher division before allowing them to drop again. If they go back down and miss weight. 75% fine, and permanently moved to a higher weight class.

If they are serious about having fighters make weight. Have stricter rules. Same with eye pokes, and nut shots.

Weight cutting should be banned anyway.
This is hard to impose for an AC. I don't think regulations would allow such strict penalties and rules. And 50% penalty for someone who misses weight by 1-2 lbs seems very harsh.

Going off of Pettis' UFC 181 payout, 40K for miising weight is pretty sufficient.

This is hard to impose for an AC. I don't think regulations would allow such strict penalties and rules. And 50% penalty for someone who misses weight by 1-2 lbs seems very harsh.

Then eliminate weight cutting all together. If you then do not meet the guidelines... You don't fight. These guys are CHOOSING not to make weight. 20% is no deterrence.

I thought Nick getting a 5 year suspension for weed was a bit harsh.

Either they are serious about fighter safety or they aren't. And whether you admit it, or not. Not making weight is cheating.

Which is a harsher penalty...

50% of your purse.

Or,

Not being allowed to fight ( 100% ) ?

Like that 5 lbs rule in NY.

Why are you defending cheating ?

Public execution for the first offense would straighten out these fighters reeeeeeal quick.

Then eliminate weight cutting all together. If you then do not meet the guidelines... You don't fight. These guys are CHOOSING not to make weight. 20% is no deterrence.

I thought Nick getting a 5 year suspension for weed was a bit harsh.

Either they are serious about fighter safety or they aren't. And whether you admit it, or not. Not making weight is cheating.

Which is a harsher penalty...

50% of your purse.

Or,

Not being allowed to fight ( 100% ) ?

Like that 5 lbs rule in NY.

Why are you defending cheating ?
Oh I would love if they eliminate the cut and have the fighters weigh in on fight night itself. And Nick's suspension is outrageous. So I do agree with you. I just think there should some leeway for all kinds of mistakes. Of course if it's a repeat offence dish out the harshest punishment.

But I'm all for fight night weigh in.

Back