Wasn't the early morning weigh in's initially optional?

DannyNL

The King is BACK, baby!
Banned
Reaction score
When it was first implemented, I thought the point was that it was optional for fighters who wanted to have a longer time to hydrate. Obviously EVERYONE availed of it, but I thought fighters did have the option to weigh in at the official one in the evening?

When did they make it so that the morning one was the official and there was no option?

I think guys should still have that option. If you miss weight in the morning, you should be able to try again at the official one in the evening IMO.

At the very least, it would give the UFC and fighters time to work something out in terms of catch weights to save fights.

I think most would prefer to weigh in in front of a handful of nerd journalists then a packed crowd.

I think most would prefer to weigh in in front of a handful of nerd journalists then a packed crowd.
Think the point he's making is if the fighter still had the option of weighing in later in the day then it would give them a few more hours to get the weight off, for example Pettis would have had an extra five or so hours to lose that last few pounds, obviously if they are on weight then it's better to get it over and done with asap.

Think the point he's making is if the fighter still had the option of weighing in later in the day then it would give them a few more hours to get the weight off, for example Pettis would have had an extra five or so hours to lose that last few pounds, obviously if they are on weight then it's better to get it over and done with asap.

Oh yea i get that. Totally.

But would you rather miss weight in front of 8 people or 1000's? Plus you weigh less in the morning.

I thought about this the first time somebody missed weight. I thought they would be able to weigh in later, WTF happened?

But would you rather miss weight in front of 8 people or 1000's? Plus you weigh less in the morning.

If you miss weight the word is getting out regardless, so who cares. It's not like the people in the audience egg the fighter or anything, making those "8 journalists" preferable to thousands of angry people.

Yeah I get that and understand why EVERYBODY chose the morning weigh in.

I'm just saying that if you do miss it or if you have a problem making it in the morning, you should have the option to make it in the evening.

Yeah I get that and understand why EVERYBODY chose the morning weigh in.

I'm just saying that if you do miss it or if you have a problem making it in the morning, you should have the option to make it in the evening.

Yea, totally agree.

If you miss weight the word is getting out regardless, so who cares. It's not like the people in the audience egg the fighter or anything, making those "8 journalists" preferable to thousands of angry people.

Still they'll prefer to be in a room with less people. I don't disagree with your thought process but for them they'll prefer a small room with not many people.

Back