Ken Shamrock at age 28

Glove

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
In this segment we have legendary MMA pioneer Ken Shamrock, whose career spans over 23 years. He is the founder and owner of the Lion's Den Gym out of Lodi, California. Ken was an absolutely natural talent when he was younger, and tried his hand at wrestling in high school until he broke his neck before a state championship. Doctors had told him his sports career was over, that is until he flew to Japan and trained in the art of submission grappling with professional wrestlers Pancrase legend Masakatsu Funaki & Minoru Suzuki. Together all 3 founded the Pancrase organization, which is one of the world's oldest MMA events, still around today. Ken then entered the UFC after winning the Pancrase open weight championship and tried out his skills there...had a successful career and fought in organizations all over the world including Pride, King of the Cage, Cage Rage and Bellator. He holds a record of 28-17-2 and is one of MMA's very first true grappling pioneers in MMA today and whose gym created fantastic talents such as Guy Mezger, Frank Shamrock, Pete Williams, Tony Bonello, Jerry Bohlander,Maurice Smith, Roy Nelson etc. whom all fought in the UFC or other major organizations. In this video, it's Ken Shamrock's very first UFC match against K-1 fighter Patrick Smith at UFC 1 in 1993. Before the fight Patrick Smith & his corner men were loudly boasting how they were going to defeat Ken in vicious fashion and without mercy. Also, UFC 1 color commentators were (Superfoot) Bill Wallace, NFL Hall of Famer Jim Brown and Kathy Long (5 time kickboxing champion). Right up til Gerard Goudeau's kicking out Telia Tuli's teeth, Ken thought the UFC was a wrestling exhibition and didnt think it would involve much actual physical confrontation. Ken would lose in the nest round to the winner of UFC 1 Royce Gracie. 86,000 people bought the PPV for this event.

Last edited:
Cool post, TS.

Ken was a badass.

We need more of this.

Ignore the random guy who came looking for new Mcgregor threads.

That ref looked like he had absolutely no idea what he was looking at.

In this segment we have legendary MMA pioneer whose career spans over 23 years, Ken Shamrock. He is the founder and owner of the Lion's Den Gym out of Lodi, California. Ken was an absolutely natural talent when he was younger, and tried his hand at wrestling in high school until he broke his neck before a state championship. Doctors had told him his sports career was over, that is until he flew to Japan and trained in the art of submission grappling with other wrestlers Pancrase legend Masakatsu Funaki & Minoru Suzuki. Together all 3 founded the Pancrase organization, which is one of the world's oldest MMA events, still around today. Ken then entered the UFC after winning the Pancrase open weight championship and tried out his skills there...had a successful career and fought in organizations all over the world including Pride, King of the Cage, Cage Rage and Bellator. He holds a record of 28-17-2 and is one of MMA's very first true grappling pioneers in MMA today and whose gym created fantastic talents such as Guy Mezger, Frank Shamrock, Pete Williams, Tony Bonello, Jerry Bohlander,Maurice Smith, Roy Nelson etc. whom all fought in the UFC or other major organizations. In this video, it's Ken Shamrock's very first UFC match against K-1 fighter Patrick Smithat UFC 1 in 1993, before the fight Patrick Smith & his corner men were talking how they were going to defeat Ken in vicious fashion and without mercy. Also, UFC 1 color commentators were (Superfoot) Bill Wallace, NFL Hall of Famer Jim Brown and Kathy Long (5 time kickboxing champion). Right up til Gerard Goudeau's kicking out Telia Tuli's teeth, Ken thought the UFC was a wrestling exhibition and didnt think it would involve much actual physical confrontation. Ken would lose in the nest round to the winner of UFC 1 Royce Gracie. 86,000 people bought the PPV for this event.

Loving your old school MMA video posts recently. Please feel free to flood the heavies with them so they drown out the "CONOR IS BEST BOXER IN DA WORLD. LEL!!" posts.

That ref looked like he had absolutely no idea what he was looking at.

I don't even believe he'd intended to stop the fight based on the tap, but Ken standing and walking away sort of motivated his confused reaction, such as it was.

Nobody really knew what the fuck they were doing back then. Lol

But that added to the thrill factor.

None of us really knew just how fucked up someone could get in this type of competition.

Until Teila Tuli's tooth went flying into the upper deck. Hahahha.

Loving your old school MMA video posts recently. Please feel free to flood the heavies with them so they drown out the "CONOR IS BEST BOXER IN DA WORLD. LEL!!" posts.

source.gif

Shamrock has looked like 45 yr old his entire life. Still, hespect to the originals.

I wish you would have paragraphed your otherwise nice text, TS.

Ken Shamrock is the GPOAT (Greatest Pioneer of All TIMES).

Hello bud! I never put my picture in your legendary thread, but if your want to see me, I walked out with Patrick Smith for UFC 1. Shane Pitts was there too.

(I know you said at one point you either spent time in denver, or possibly was from here)

There was an after party in Denver Tech Center after UFC 1. Needless to say, it was a charged atmosphere, drama took place. Anyways, I've been around the UFC since the start, looks like I made it past 205! Dayum

In this segment we have legendary MMA pioneer Ken Shamrock, whose career spans over 23 years. He is the founder and owner of the Lion's Den Gym out of Lodi, California. Ken was an absolutely natural talent when he was younger, and tried his hand at wrestling in high school until he broke his neck before a state championship. Doctors had told him his sports career was over, that is until he flew to Japan and trained in the art of submission grappling with professional wrestlers Pancrase legend Masakatsu Funaki & Minoru Suzuki. Together all 3 founded the Pancrase organization, which is one of the world's oldest MMA events, still around today. Ken then entered the UFC after winning the Pancrase open weight championship and tried out his skills there...had a successful career and fought in organizations all over the world including Pride, King of the Cage, Cage Rage and Bellator. He holds a record of 28-17-2 and is one of MMA's very first true grappling pioneers in MMA today and whose gym created fantastic talents such as Guy Mezger, Frank Shamrock, Pete Williams, Tony Bonello, Jerry Bohlander,Maurice Smith, Roy Nelson etc. whom all fought in the UFC or other major organizations. In this video, it's Ken Shamrock's very first UFC match against K-1 fighter Patrick Smith at UFC 1 in 1993. Before the fight Patrick Smith & his corner men were loudly boasting how they were going to defeat Ken in vicious fashion and without mercy. Also, UFC 1 color commentators were (Superfoot) Bill Wallace, NFL Hall of Famer Jim Brown and Kathy Long (5 time kickboxing champion). Right up til Gerard Goudeau's kicking out Telia Tuli's teeth, Ken thought the UFC was a wrestling exhibition and didnt think it would involve much actual physical confrontation. Ken would lose in the nest round to the winner of UFC 1 Royce Gracie. 86,000 people bought the PPV for this event.

Great stuff,

Ken was fucking jacked back then..

kd6YTQZ.jpeg

Hello bud! I never put my picture in your legendary thread, but if your want to see me, I walked out with Patrick Smith for UFC 1. Shane Pitts was there too.

(I know you said at one point you either spent time in denver, or possibly was from here)

There was an after party in Denver Tech Center after UFC 1. Needless to say, it was a charged atmosphere, drama took place. Anyways, I've been around the UFC since the start, looks like I made it past 205! Dayum
Although Pat had personal and legal hang ups, I was always a fan of Pat the fighter. Next time I watch UFC 1 I will debate which of his entourage you are.

Back