Will we ever have a prospect fight in the UFC on the level of Frankie/Tyson again?

ExitLUPin

K
@Steel
Reaction score
In 2 months itll be the decade anniversary of the gureatest prospect fight in UFC history.

Frankie was a 6-0 LW in his 2nd year of MMA, having beaten Jim Miller (white whale fight in MMA, before either were top guys) and Deividas (underrated win).

Tyson was an 8-0 LW, already had TKO wins over Faber and Bang but in his 3rd year of MMA and very much a prospect, even more highly touted than Frankie at the time and was supposed to get next @ LW before all the injuries and troubles.

They put on an A B S O L U T E C L A S S I C. It was a FOTY contender in 2007, absolutely amazing fight and arguably Frankies most exciting overall fight of his career (which is saying alot considering all the wars hes been in, specially Gray 2 and 3). To this day still one of the GOAT LW fights.

c517d317caf75686b4be8200bd47aefd.jpg

The only prospect fight in general on its level is Benson/Cowboy 1 but that was in WEC.

Cirkunov vs. Krylov this saturday is a great one.

One of my favorite fights of all time. Can't believe Griffin declined the way he has.

It already happened with gall v punk

2 future hall of famers

Except tyson dropped off mighty quick

That was a classic. It was so competitive and dramatic. I remember thinking Tyson G was the future of the sport before that fight. Frankie stole his momentum and ran with it.

I did think Lee/Mustafaev was one of those fights when I was watching it.

Pleb Tier compared to Tyson Griffin and Frankie Edgar.

Dunno what happened Tyson Griffin, but I'm pretty sure if he had made the right move to a new camp earlier in his career (before he started taking L's) he had potential to be champ... then again the LW Division had monsters like BJ Penn, Frankie, Sherk etc. so who knows.

Either way off topic but his fight vs Hermes Franca was his BEST performance in the UFC imo.

Is Cirkunov any good? I don't know shit about him. I was a little disappointed when I heard about the fight because I wanted to see Krylov fight someone higher ranked after what I thought was the knockout of the year against Herman.

It is, but I also kind of hate that it's happening, especially in such a weak division. I have no idea why we got Lil Nog/Bader 2 and have to derail a prospect as well. That's some fucking weird matchmaking.

If they set up Ortega vs DHC that would be that level imo.

Poirier vs. Holloway
Jon Jones v. Bader

Dont think you understand the point of the thread, it was about the level of fight both prospects created a sturong FOTY contender and alltime classic. Both of those fights were one sided from what i hemember

Does Griffin/Bonnar count? Obviously only prospects because of the show, but they did put on quite the war.

Does Griffin/Bonnar count? Obviously only prospects because of the show, but they did put on quite the war.

Yeah it counts but that slopfest was nowhere near as good as Frankie/Tyson on a dramatic or technical level, too pillowfisted, poor technique etc. Fun fight but yeah, pales in comparison

Damn, @ExitLUPin, I love your perspective on things.

That's exactly how it went down.

I felt at the time it was an upset.

Is Cirkunov any good? I don't know shit about him. I was a little disappointed when I heard about the fight because I wanted to see Krylov fight someone higher ranked after what I thought was the knockout of the year against Herman.
Was a great KO, but I think Cirkunov is better then anyone Krylov has beaten.

It is, but I also kind of hate that it's happening, especially in such a weak division. I have no idea why we got Lil Nog/Bader 2 and have to derail a prospect as well. That's some fucking weird matchmaking.
I understand what you're saying. That's why if Krylov does happen to win, I'd do a title eliminator without hesitation. The division needs new challenges up front.

Only time will tell, maybe super Sage vs Mickey Gall will be a good one...then feed them to Platinum Mike Perry.

Was a great KO, but I think Cirkunov is better then anyone Krylov has beaten.

I understand what you're saying. That's why if Krylov does happen to win, I'd do a title eliminator without hesitation. The division needs new challenges up front.
Nice. I see Cirkunov's record and see that he's been tearing it up. I'm sure I've seen him fight but it takes me a few times before I start remembering guys, and often miss prelims do to work. I've been a big fan of what Krylov is doing, and hope he keeps it up because the guy is fun as hell to watch.

Back