The Vast Majority Of MMA Fighters Are Overtrained

Blackjack

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
One only needs to look at the number of fighters who barely manage to fight twice a year and even then often pull out of fights because they are injured or sick. Cain Velasquez is perhaps the best example of a well known MMA fighter who overtrains. He has more than once gone over a year without defending a title because he wasn't physically capable of defending his title.

9JOf1nv.gif

NO SUCH THING as "overtraining" brah!!!

{<hngg}{<hngg}{<hngg}{<hngg}{<hngg}{<hngg}{<hngg}{<hngg}

I don't think it's intentional, MMA just takes a lot of preparation. Needing to both improve and do game plan drilling in multiple disciplines, as well as strength and conditioning, isn't easy. Some disciplines, like wrestling and BJJ, almost always need a partner as well to train.

I agree to some extent though. I thought Bisping looked pretty physically good in his second fight with Rockhold, and he showed more power than he ever had before. He's a guy known to be extremely conditioned, he even talks about how hard he trains. If he laid off a bit, I think it do him good.

i know that video and gif of cain goes around a lot but.. how much weight is he even lifting on that machine.

Fighters need to weed out some of their shitty and counterproductive movesets during weight/endurance training first iff

i know that video and gif of cain goes around a lot but.. how much weight is he even lifting on that machine.
Two plates bro, 30 lbs. Too heavy for Cain though.

Nates first fight with conor may add to that.

It's hard to not train hard when you know the other guy is trying to smash your skull in.
But yeah, I agree.

There are plenty of physical sports that don't have this level of injury happening. They definitely overtrain, and the success of many of the short notice fighters should give these guys reason for pause. Its should, but it won't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back