Pedro Rizzo at age 24

Glove

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
In this headliner we have Pedro Rizzo one of the most feared and revered strikers in MMA history facing another revered MMA striker who has had numerous highlights himself, David (Tank) Abbott. Pedro Rizzo is 24 years old and making his UFC Debut at UFC Brazil in 1998. Under the tutelage of Marco Ruas from Ruas Vale Tudo. Pedro Rizzo's leg kicks are considered some of the most powerful in MMA history. So fierce his kicks are UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture said one of the most painful injuries came after a 2001 win over Pedro Rizzo at UFC 31. “I had a swollen, black leg for three weeks after that fight and did not walk right for a while. I learned a very valuable lesson: I’ve got to learn how to kick, I’ve got to learn to check a kick. For crying out loud, I don’t want that to happen again." Before he entered MMA Rizzo had been a successful kick-boxer with a record of 31-2 (30 KO). Rizzo would go on have a nice career in MMA holding a 20-11 record and winning the IFA World Heavyweight Championship and winning the World Vale Tudo Championship in 1996. Also, this would be the first time the UFC held an event in Brazil and the 3rd time it went outside the United States. It also featured Wanderlai Silva who was also making his first UFC appearance against UFC prodigy Vitor Belfort.

Last edited:
53f7ba06f428024e780c585a4e49bb58.jpg~c200

When he fought Couture and the result is announced, Couture is like "Fuck, did I really win this one.....?"

Thoroughly enjoying these blasts from the past. Cool stuff @Glove !

Before there was Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson there was Pedro "The Rock" Rizzo. I think one of my favorite Rizzo KOs was his KO of Josh Barnett (I like Barnett as well, that fight was a savage display of skill and fury).

(Edit: Now that I think about it, the WWF Rock was around the same exact time lol; dunno who came first, both great for very different reasons.)

That decision win for Couture against Rizzo is definitely one of the most stupid ones i could remember. Both guys should have an * on that fight on their records.

Btw, War Marco Ruas!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing, nice watch.

Some things never change: Brazilians booing foreigners and Tank Abbott being a fat old man. No bashing.

Pedro was the rock since he was born. Pedro means "Rock". He had a great run until Gan McGee smashed his nose. I always consider him among the best fighters to not hold a title.

Pedro was the rock since he was born. Pedro means "Rock". He had a great run until Gan McGee smashed his nose. I always consider him among the best fighters to not hold a title.

He's certainly one of the best strikers i have ever seen in MMA.

Good thread

Rizzo vs couture fights were tje best hwt fight till fedor vs cro cop.

That decision win for Couture against Rizzo is definitely one of the most stupid ones i could remember. Both guys should have an * on that fight on their records.

Btw, War Marco Ruas!!!!!!!!

You're right, Rizzo should have got the decision. I'm still pissed off about that.

That's one of the best fights in history. In today's UFC, it would have been stopped in the first and again in the second round. This card, UFC 31 is my favorite of all time- definitely worth checking out. (BJ Penn debut).

Young Arlovski, Mir, or Crocop next!!!!!!!!

Young Arlovski, Mir, or Crocop next!!!!!!!!

I will get to them before the year is out @KONE i promise, i would like to do some more earlier fighters that the younger generation may not have heard about but should. I just started doing these really off the cuff, but since some people have enjoyed them i will continue to do more.

Back