What UFC Should Have Done with the Featherweight Title

Doog Doogson

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
We hear some people talk about the UFC feeling stale with same ol same ol be it the presentation, the kits, the marketing or whathaveyou. Others are justifiably calling bullshit on how Pettis vs Max is an interim title fight. Others not happy with Aldo being declared champ despite not fighting since July.

To spice things up and create interest what I propose they should've done is:

- Get the Top 8 FWs to agree to a tournament
- At the Fox card in Sacramento next week when viewership is high, hold a random Draw in the middle of the Octagon during the main card. Get 2 retired featherweights to pick from each pot, say Faber & Florian.
- The top 4 are Seeded so cannot face each other in the first round. But make it a draw instead of #1 vs #8 / #2 vs #7 etc
- Have all 8 fighters in attendance so that you can square the pairs off as each matchup is made and get someone like Rogan to do quick interviews.
- You get 4 top fights that could fill a PPV main card say 208 or 209, with a title fight in another weight division headlining it.
- After the first round is complete, stage another open draw for the Semi Finals on a subsequent Fox card.
- These semi finals could both act as Co-Mains to a PPV event 10 weeks later.
- The final title fight eventually headlining a PPV some time around June or July

In doing so you've created 7 high level high quality fights. You've piqued people's interest on the free Fox card and gotten them somewhat emotionally invested into a tournament that will take place over 3 separate PPVs over the next 6 or so months. *If Aldo complains that he's interim champ, they could instead make the first round of the tournament 6 fighters, with Aldo getting a 1st round bye.

In b4 TL;DR gifs

I would've been totally for this idea. They could've just made whoever Aldo got a five round defense of Interim title and continue that on with whoever has it until the end.

Or just had the tournament decide who would face the Interim champ for the Undisputed belt.

Not in Trump's America.

I'd love to see that though. MMA needs more tournaments that matter.

We hear some people talk about the UFC feeling stale with same ol same ol be it the presentation, the kits, the marketing or whathaveyou. Others are justifiably calling bullshit on how Pettis vs Max is an interim title fight. Others not happy with Aldo being declared champ despite not fighting since July.

To spice things up and create interest what I propose they should've done is:

- Get the Top 8 FWs to agree to a tournament
- At the Fox card in Sacramento next week when viewership is high, hold a random Draw in the middle of the Octagon during the main card. Get 2 retired featherweights to pick from each pot, say Faber & Florian.
- The top 4 are Seeded so cannot face each other in the first round. But make it a draw instead of #1 vs #8 / #2 vs #7 etc
- Have all 8 fighters in attendance so that you can square the pairs off as each matchup is made and get someone like Rogan to do quick interviews.
- You get 4 top fights that could fill a PPV main card say 208 or 209, with a title fight in another weight division headlining it.
- After the first round is complete, stage another open draw for the Semi Finals on a subsequent Fox card.
- These semi finals could both act as Co-Mains to a PPV event 10 weeks later.
- The final title fight eventually headlining a PPV some time around June or July

In doing so you've created 7 high level high quality fights. You've piqued people's interest on the free Fox card and gotten them somewhat emotionally invested into a tournament that will take place over 3 separate PPVs over the next 6 or so months. *If Aldo complains that he's interim champ, they could instead make the first round of the tournament 6 fighters, with Aldo getting a 1st round bye.

In b4 TL;DR gifs

I like the idea but..... how did the last big tournament go in Strikeforce? Overeem beats Werdum and DC progresses....

why is the ufc so scared of tournaments? They're baddass and the only reason to be against them is injuries (hence why you have alternative bouts)

I like the idea and I wish the UFC would utilize the tournament format more often. Unfortunately, the UFC seems to be opposed to doing tournaments, except in TUF. Ironically, the company credits TUF with saving the sport, yet they reject the tournament format upon which the show is based.

Nah, Aldo is the best now that McGregor left. We all know it, close thread.

Most of the fighters won't be down for a tournament.

They should have made this fight the Junior Interim Title with the winner fighting the Interim Junior Champion for the right to fight Jose Aldo, the Interim Champion for the right to fight Conor at 150 pounds next December. for the McGregor belt.

that is actually a good idea TS

tournaments are cool man I dont know why UFC doesnt do them

I remember making a mess of my trousers when the Strikeforce HW Grand Prix was announced

I also like the idea of cards wherein the main card has like 3 or 4 fights from one division. Remember UFC 146, we had JDS vs Mir, Cain vs Bigfoot, Roy vs Dave Herman, Stipe vs Shane del Rosario (RIP) and Struve vs Lavar Johnson. Was a great main card.

ufc wont do tournaments - they want discretion to make the biggest money fights - so it wont happen

that is actually a good idea TS

tournaments are cool man I dont know why UFC doesnt do them

I remember making a mess of my trousers when the Strikeforce HW Grand Prix was announced

I also like the idea of cards wherein the main card has like 3 or 4 fights from one division. Remember UFC 146, we had JDS vs Mir, Cain vs Bigfoot, Roy vs Dave Herman, Stipe vs Shane del Rosario (RIP) and Struve vs Lavar Johnson. Was a great main card.

Agreed on having several big fights from one division on the same card. It would've come in very handy especially this year with the injury bug hitting plus the USADA suspensions and also the weight & commission issues that 205 suffered.

Back