Showtime vs Holloway : Old vs New, Flash vs Substance (A fight fans dream match up)

Threetrees

He/Him
@plutonium
Reaction score
Who you got?

This is one of my favorite match ups of the year. Interim shenangans aside, there's not much hype, no media hysteria, no big beef

Just pure sport
A well match, closely contested fight that MEANS something. That's what it's all about
On top of that - Max Holloway is everybodies favorite fighter, even if they don't realize it. And Anthony Pettis used to be that guy.

I used the term "Flash vs Substance" because that's ultimately boils down to. A guy who is probably one of the top 10 most fundamentally sound fighters on the feet, versus Anthony Pettis - a dude whose entire style is built around finishing in spectacular ways, and that's not an insult.

I got Holloway personally. He's the better fighter based on their recent history, the better striker when technique is considered, maybe the more sound grappler (though he's much like Pettis on the mat) and he has all the momentum in the world. Holloway is one of those guys who is categorized as having "neo-footwork" much like Dominick Cruz, TJ Dillashaw and Demetrious Johnson. That's bull shit, all four of these guys just have GOOD footwork, a rarity in MMA. They do the same things that made Anderson Silva succesfull even as he aged, what makes great boxers great (Lomachenko, who is the new hot thing lives off of this) and made Petroysan nearly unbeatable for so long - all they are doing is manipulating the weakside angles and turning opponents.

Knowing how to turn your opponent is the basis of high level striking, it puts you in the best position for offense while ALSO making them react and giving you a good defensive position. TJ, DJ and Dom added stance switches, but even that's not new it's just another way to take angles in a sport that includes takedowns and kicks.

But this fight is more about Anthony Pettis. Pettis was a guy who seemed destined to be a star. A documentary on MTV, a WEC belt and a Wheaties box - when he took the UFC title he was poised to be the face of the UFC. His style is excitement defined, his resume is fantastic. People even forget that he, not Conor, was going to be the first guy since BJ to challenge for two belts - he and Jose Aldo were actually booked for UFC 163 before injuries to Anthony derailed the match up, but the idea was to challenge for 145 then take his title shot (which was promised) at LW after. Injuries have been a major story in Anthony's career but the real issue with Pettis has been his lack of development

Again, he's possibly the most exciting dude in MMA - but his entire style is built around hunting for the finish and many of his fundamentals have suffered. Anthony Pettis is a bad boxer. It's just bad. He's got atrocious footwork off his back foot, he lacks the ring craft to control the cage unless the opponent gives him space. His style is very much the same as it's been, and his development has been almost nonexistent. That doesn't mean he's not elite, the most impressive thing is that his offense is so potent that if an opponent makes a mistake he can capitalize at any moment and get the finish. But his style is not built for elite MMA, he can't really win rounds or decisions, he doesn't throw with enough volume to back anyone up

This fight is most interesting because Anthony Pettis has reportedly rededicated himself to training and has "the fire back". Max Holloway is the perfect test - he is everything that MMA is trending towards, brilliant striking on the feet, aggression, good off the counter, great counter wrestling. There is a reason that he only has two legit loses in the UFC (bermudez fight was a robbery). And he will probably keep getting better. While Anthony as he was in the last fight could win this bout, it's unlikely - he's going to have to show improvements in order to beat a guy on the level of Max.

TLDR:

Picking Max
Rooting for Pettis - this fight is more about what adjustments he can make
Max can just go out and play his normal game
Who you got

Last edited:
I think max, but pettis is always dangerous. If max can keep the pressure on him and make him box i think he wins.

If pettis looks like he did against Do Bronx, it'll be a long night for him.

Pettis is either going to knock him out or sub him or Max will win a decision.

I like Max but I think Pettis takes it.

Pettis is either going to knock him out or sub him or Max will win a decision.

I like Max but I think Pettis takes it.
I think Max can finish Pettis actually
He's not a big finisher, but I think his style is actually built for five rounds. I know Pettis has great cardio and is durable af, but Holloway over 25 minutes? He's at his best in the third round of fights, he might fish a finish in the championship rounds.

but most likely I think Pettis by finish or Max by Dec is how it goes

I think Max can finish Pettis actually
He's not a big finisher, but I think his style is actually built for five rounds. I know Pettis has great cardio and is durable af, but Holloway over 25 minutes? He's at his best in the third round of fights, he might fish a finish in the championship rounds.

but most likely I think Pettis by finish or Max by Dec is how it goes
I just can't see Max finishing him. Pettis has never been finished, even at the end of taking a 5 round beat down from RDA, RDA was looking for a sub but Pettis still wouldn't give it to him.

i agree this is one of the most exciting matchups in a long, long time.

and i have no idea, but lean toward Holloway.

then again, will Holloway push it like RDA? i kind of doubt it. and Pettis usually out-picks-apart opponents who are willing to stay slightly out of range and try to pick him apart.

but Holloway is so damn good. but Pettis is so damn durable.

so i don't know and i really look forward to finding out.

Haven't been as excited for a single fight this year since WB vs Rory (didn't deliver) and Khabib vs Tony (cancelled).
I got Pettis. I think he's phsyically stronger than Max and a more powerful striker, max is more accuracy and volume. Think Pettis hurts him to the body, lands some hard shots, and then subs him, 3rd or 4th round.

i agree this is one of the most exciting matchups in a long, long time.

and i have no idea, but lean toward Holloway.

then again, will Holloway push it like RDA? i kind of doubt it. and Pettis usually out-picks-apart opponents who are willing to stay slightly out of range and try to pick him apart.

so i don't know and i really look forward to finding out.

I dunno about that
Pettis has only ever outpointed Bendo on the feet - and actually irrc the standup was really close, Pettis surprised everyone by being better in scrambles and taking Bendo's back
He outpointed Alvarez in my eyes, but that was because Alvarez didn't do muc on the feet himself
He out grappled Stephens in a close fight, when that fight was up it was very close.
It's not a surprise that he's 3-5 in fights that go the distance

Just a nit picky comment but pretty sure Pettis was scheduled to fight Aldo before he was champ, not to go for two belts at once. He pulled out with the injury then jumped into the Milwaukee card against Bendo when TJ Grant got hurt.

Huge Pettis fan for a long time but I think Holloway is the real deal and takes this one.

Just a nit picky comment but pretty sure Pettis was scheduled to fight Aldo before he was champ, not to go for two belts at once. He pulled out with the injury then jumped into the Milwaukee card against Bendo when TJ Grant got hurt.

Huge Pettis fan for a long time but I think Holloway is the real deal and takes this one.
Oh you're probably right about that

MAX by being first to the punch and keeping pettis guessing.

If I heard the fight was ended by stoppage I'd say Pettis won.

If I heard the fight went to a decision than I'd say Max got the nod.

I dunno about that
Pettis has only ever outpointed Bendo on the feet - and actually irrc the standup was really close, Pettis surprised everyone by being better in scrambles and taking Bendo's back
He outpointed Alvarez in my eyes, but that was because Alvarez didn't do muc on the feet himself
He out grappled Stephens in a close fight, when that fight was up it was very close.
It's not a surprise that he's 3-5 in fights that go the distance

i suppose i'm counting Cowboy Cerrone and Melendez, so maybe 'outpointed' was the wrong term.

and now i'm remembering the Melendez and Bendo subs.

what a great matchup this is.

i suppose i'm counting Cowboy Cerrone and Melendez, so maybe 'outpointed' was the wrong term.

and now i'm remembering the Melendez and Bendo subs.

what a great fight.
Yeah Anthony Pettis literally doesn't know how to point fight

In the BEST way possible

I agree with you this fight isn't getting enough credited. One of the match ups I am most excited for the entire year. Has all the ingredients to produce fireworks.

I've gone back and forth on my pick. I could see Holloway dominating to either a UD or maybe a late stop. But then again, Pettis has shown he can clip guys who don't constantly pressure and try to fight him just out of range like Cerrone or Lauzon (except Barboza but he's a better technical striker). He also has some sneaky and underrated submissions and I give him the advantage on the mat. However, I will go with Max on this one.

Back