Is Cormier better suited for HW than Jones?

TerraRayzing

Little eagle soars again
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm not saying that HW Cormier will dismantled Jones because his length and reach will always be a touch matchup for him but do you feel Cormier can do better at HW than Jones?
Just for comparison sake, how do you feel the two will do against.... say someone like Francis? I know he's green but I really see Jones having a hard time with him. Then Stipe? I really don't see Jones beating him, with DC, I see a small chance.
I believe DC's boxing and pressure style is better suited for HW. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm not saying that HW Cormier will dismantled Jones because his length and reach will always be a touch matchup for him but do you feel Cormier can do better at HW than Jones?
Just for comparison sake, how do you feel the two will do against.... say someone like Francis? I know he's green but I really see Jones having a hard time with him. Then Stipe? I really don't see Jones beating him, with DC, I see a small chance.
HW Cormier beats everyone except MAYBE Cain.. he probably beats Cain too though.

However I do beleive Cormier is exiting his prime.

HW Cormier beats everyone except MAYBE Cain.. he probably beats Cain too though.

However I do beleive Cormier is exiting his prime.

Cain wins via superior cardio but I think DC is better skill for skill. His boxing is very underrated and I think his wrestling is superior too.
I agree, which is a shame, dude is a tremendous fighter, pity he started late.

DC vs Hunto :)

DC vs JDS :)

DC vs Brock

I would watch the Fuck, out of all of those fights.

I think you're kidding yourself. We've seen that DC is a VERY good HW, and we've seen Jones handle DC with relative ease.

I hate Jones as much as the next guy, but the writing is on the wall.

I think you're kidding yourself. We've seen that DC is a VERY good HW, and we've seen Jones handle DC with relative ease.

I hate Jones as much as the next guy, but the writing is on the wall.
Dude come on, that's maths, it doesn't work that way. How do you think he does against a prime Josh?
Also, relative ease? I disagree. The fight was very competitive till Jones poked him in the eye.

Yes, Jones gets destroyed at HW since its full of tall guys with big reach that are much heavier and more skilled than anyone hes faced at 205 by a long shot. Jones is even struggling with guys close to his size at 205 like OSP and Gus and has gone to decision with everyone for like the past 5 years. DC can at least hang with HWs but he still loses to the best of the best there. DCs style is better suited for HW than Jones for sure.

I'd say yes, he's used to the HW division and did great.

Jon doesn't have the mental fortitude to go to HW and be the best. DC does.

Jon said himself he would only do it for the right stylistic matchup. That means hes scared of most HWs.

Dude come on, that's maths, it doesn't work that way. How do you think he does against a prime Josh?
Also, relative ease? I disagree. The fight was very competitive till Jones poked him in the eye.
Normally I'd agree about MMA math, but in this case I think we can reasonably infer that Jones would have success at HW based on his performance against one of the elite.

As for Josh, Jones' MMA wrestling is as good as anyone in the history of the sport. Josh would be stymied.

YESSSSS

Cormiers guilty pleasure makes you gain weight

popeyes.jpg

Jones guilty pleasure makes you lose weight

exploding-white-powder-picture-id502607612

well when they fought jones didn't even wear a suit to the pre-fight events, so yeah i would say that cormier is better suited

20141117061045_5D3_8830.JPG

635557388021758859-jon-jones-daniel-cormier-pre-ufc-182-1.jpg

I think there is no doubt that Jon Jones frame is better suited at HW than Cormier's. Sure Cormier can be successful at HW even though he is shorter and stockier than most HW's. HW as a whole is a very weak division with only a few with great athletic ability. Jon Jones committed to go going to HW could be a beast. No doubt he could be a solid 245-250 of solid muscle and be one of if not the most athletic HW on the planet. Cain might be the only guy at HW that would even give Jones a test.

I'm tired of seeing black on black crime

Normally I'd agree about MMA math, but in this case I think we can reasonably infer that Jones would have success at HW based on his performance against one of the elite.

As for Josh, Jones' MMA wrestling is as good as anyone in the history of the sport. Josh would be stymied.

Are you taking into the account the struggle he showed against OSP and Gus?
Are you sure? If anything, his wrestling is a little inconsistent, took down DC (when he gassed but still) and then had trouble taking down OSP and of course, Gus too.

Cain wins via superior cardio...

Collectively we have to let go of this myth.

But you are right the established former heavyweight (StrikeForce champion) is better suited to fight at heavyweight than the guy who has fought at 205 his entire career. Really groundbreaking stuff.

130101133829-daniel-cormier-story-single-image-cut.jpg

Sea-Level Cain wins via superior cardio but I think DC is better skill for skill. His boxing is very underrated and I think his wrestling is superior too.
I agree, which is a shame, dude is a tremendous fighter, pity he started late.
FTFY

Back