Why MMA fighters don't go up in weight as their career progress ?

dontlaugh

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I know it is seems like a noob question, but why ? I see that in Kickboxing and Boxing a lot, but rarely in MMA. Would weight cut become a hard task when you get older ? or is it because Kickboxing and Boxing weight classes are just a few pounds away and that makes it easier ?

Dominick Cruz at FW or even LW these days would be fun, same for Aldo. Instead, what happens is fighters dropping in weight as they get older, what the fuck happens ? i think having great fighters from lower weight classes going up in weight would be great additions to every weight class. We could have a heavyweight Jon Jones now, if this was a common thing among MMA fighters.

I know it is seems like a noob question, but why ? I see that in Kickboxing and Boxing a lot, but rarely in MMA. Would weight cut become a hard task when you get older ? or is it because Kickboxing and Boxing weight classes are just a few pounds away and that makes it easier ?

Dominick Cruz at FW or even LW these days would be fun, same for Aldo. Instead, what happens is fighters dropping in weight as they get older, what the fuck happens ? i think having great fighters from lower weight classes going up in weight would be great additions to every weight class. We could have a heavyweight Jon Jones now, if this was a common thing among MMA fighters.

This is because typically the adjustments you have to make in order to fight larger opponents are longer and more difficult compared to having go down in weight and fighting a smaller guy whom you can assume you have a size advantage against.

Pearson, Hendo, Diego Sanchez, Faber, Cruz, Mighty Mouse, and McGregor all have illistrated this phenomenon. It's easier to go down than up.

Because it's a 10-15 lb just instead of a 3-4 lb jump. Plus there are ton of "champs" in boxing who hold some bullshit title that aren't all that great that good boxers can move up a bit and take another title to make their record look more impressive.

Grappling. if your a striker cutting weight to be the bigger stronger guy you'll have ano easier time defending takedowns. if your a grappler than size advantage allows you to bully them more in clinch and put heavier pressure on them on the ground when your on top

Striking going up a weight class as you get older is more common because while the new class might pack more power thier slower and as reaction time decreases it better for those vets who have solid defensive skills

Back