Dan Severn at age 36

Glove

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
This is Dan Severn's very first MMA fight held in UFC 4 at Tulsa,Oklahoma 1994. It would pit him against Anthony Macias, also making his initial UFC debut. Dan Severn would also be the first world-class wrestler to enter the Octagon, which would lead the way to dominance in his field for years to come. UFC 4 was an 8-man tournament, he later would face Royce Gracie in the final where he would lose. Dan Severn, a 2-time All American at Arizona State University, would have a long and successful MMA career and holds a record of 101 wins with 19 losses and 7 draws. He did become one of the most decorated UFC fighters in the very early stages, UFC 5 tournament winner, The Ultimate Ultimate 1995 tournament and the UFC Superfight Championship. He would later on become inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame.

Note: Dan Severn outweighed Macias by 70 pounds and there were no time limits, no rounds and no judges for this tournament. You won by either KO and submission. It was also Jeff Blatnik's first time announcing, Jim Brown (Hall of fame running back) gave color commentary as well.

I love that Jim Brown commentated the early UFC cards.

The GOAT

I didn't hate Dan Severn before watching this video, but now I do.

You're gonna outweigh your opponent by 70 pounds and STILL panic wrestle?? GTFO here..

You're gonna outweigh your opponent by 70 pounds and STILL panic wrestle?? GTFO here..
God I hope this is sarcasm. But just in case it's not. This was Severn's FIRST MMA fight, and he was billed as a "world class wrestler". He didn't even know how to strike at this point. What exactly did you expect him to do?

There was no "panic" wrestling, that's literally all he knew how to do. And guess what? It worked just fine.

Back then you could do a lot with just size and strength, especially before headbutts were outlawed. Just look at Kerr and Coleman.

Why don't YOU just go beat him up tough girl?

Damn I forget how much bigger the original UFC octagon was...that shit is a mini football field.

If Severn had just an inkling of how to ground and pound he likely beats Royce in the final. Can you imagine guys at today's overall skill level fighting with such a huge size diff?

Oh that is where Randleman got the Fedor slam from?

Love the old school no weight match-ups.
70 lbs?
McNugget vs. Rumble.

Mindblowing that he compiled a >100 MMA fight record even though he started his career so late.

Dan didn't know much either. The guy was just a shoot wrestler

Obviously the UFC is much more polished now, but I sure loved these stylistic matchups in the early days. Dan did wrestlers proud.

God I hope this is sarcasm. But just in case it's not. This was Severn's FIRST MMA fight, and he was billed as a "world class wrestler". He didn't even know how to strike at this point. What exactly did you expect him to do?

There was no "panic" wrestling, that's literally all he knew how to do. And guess what? It worked just fine.

Back then you could do a lot with just size and strength, especially before headbutts were outlawed. Just look at Kerr and Coleman.
All I hear from you two is excuses, so you expect other fighters to train in other disciplines but whenever it comes to wrestling, there's no need to train anything else? How's that fair to other real fighters? Dan Severn accepted this fight against a much smaller man, knowing that he outweighed his opponent by 70 fucking pounds but instead of fighting him and actually throwing a single punch, he panic wrestles and puts all of his weight on him instead. That's the definition of panic wrestling, wtf you talking about @legatoblues ? "there was no panic wrestling", my ass. All of that size and power over your opponent and you don't even know how to throw a punch, even while laying on top of him!! GTFO here. If the smaller fighter accepted a fight against a guy who was 70 pounds heavier than him and pulled this crap, I wouldn't say shit because he had no choice, but Dan literally had every advantage on his side and still turned into a wet blanket.

at 36 he looked like a man that smelled like brut cologne and carried a comb in his back pocket. dude must have had like 4 puberties.

All I hear from you two is excuses, so you expect other fighters to train in other disciplines but whenever it comes to wrestling, there's no need to train anything else? How's that fair to other real fighters? Dan Severn accepted this fight against a much smaller man, knowing that he outweighed his opponent by 70 fucking pounds but instead of fighting him and actually throwing a single punch, he panic wrestles and puts all of his weight on him instead. That's the definition of panic wrestling, wtf you talking about @legatoblues ? "there was no panic wrestling", my ass. All of that size and power over your opponent and you don't even know how to throw a punch, even while laying on top of him!! GTFO here. If the smaller fighter accepted a fight against a guy who was 70 pounds heavier than him and pulled this crap, I wouldn't say shit because he had no choice, but Dan literally had every advantage on his side and still turned into a wet blanket.

You are one of the dumbest posters in this forum, I swear.

Just a true oldschool stud. Millions of 6-2 and 260 guys, but Severn filled that out without the steroid wrestler bloat. He was just a real beast, built to throw men around. Too bad the sport didn't come along til he was already on the downslope.

Back