Examining Demetrious Johnsons Lack of Popularity

Benjamin Burton

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Does anyone feel like Demetrious Johnsons lack of popularity comes from a lack of quality wins? He is coming up on Silvas title defense record but he still doesnt generate a lot of hype and most people seem to not care about his fights.

I personally feel like if he fought and beat the BW champion he would become one of the goats. GSP has wins over former champions and top p4p fighters like BJ Penn and Matt Hughes; he also beat Serra who technically was also the champion. In fact many top 10 p4p all time lists probably will have Penn and Hughes on them. Jones beat a whos who list in 2011 with wins over former champions Machida, Jackson, and Shogun. Silva beat former champions Franklin, Griffin, and Belfort.

Anyone else think its just a lack of quality fighters thats why DJ doesnt get any attention or is it just that flyweights will never be considered top guys?

Last edited:
hes not popular because his fights are boring and he has a boring personality

It is because when he fights other manlets they look ridiculously small when the referee is in shot with them.

Solution: Replace the refs with children, MM and opponent will look somewhat human.

I'm very serious about this, MM is P4P number 2 easily. People just can't know his real height so as to take him seriously. Look at Tom Cruise, that guy gets it. If people knew he was really 5 foot no one would buy his movies, nobody hands over good money to watch midgets do anything other than perform in the circus.

Whilst Jon Jones has a better resume, lets not act like Shogun or Rampage were in their prime when he fought them. And unlike GSP against Penn for example, DJ is a pretty small guy for his weightclass.

Migty Mouse moving up to 135 and defeating Cruz would def go a long way to cementing his status as a GOAT.

He's a normal nice guy w a wife and two kids.

He doesn't trash talk or act disrespectful, he doesn't act like a clown, and he never trolls.

His fights are exciting, and that's not the problem.
I don't think it's the weight division either. He needs that one opponent that starts a war of words.

Benevidez and Dodson are two very good fighters and he beat them both twice. I think his lack of popularity is the UFC's fault for barely promoting him. I don't think size has a lot to do with popularity seeing as how Lucky Charm isn't exactly the biggest guy out there.

answer: he's a manlet
Bingo-Sign-89298.gif

listening to fighter and the kid yesterday and Schaub was saying how because of the size it is much easier. MM can make mistakes without getting punished the way a LHW or WW would. Size discrimination.

hes not popular because his fights are boring and he has a boring personality

People like this guy refuse to actually watch his fights. Or don't understand what they are watching.

Benevidez and Dodson are two very good fighters and he beat them both twice. I think his lack of popularity is the UFC's fault for barely promoting him. I don't think size has a lot to do with popularity seeing as how Lucky Charm isn't exactly the biggest guy out there.

this is a good point and ive considered this as well but IMO dodson and benevidez would be comparable to jones win over texiera or gsps wins over koscheck or alvarez. they are top contenders in their weight class but nothing really special or any more than that.

About 15 years ago there was a great boxer named Ricardo Lopez. He was known as PFP one of the best in the world and ended up defending his title 21 times. He retired 51-0. The reason why most people never heard of him?
He fought at 108 pounds.

fucking manlets, when will they learn?

About 15 years ago there was a great boxer named Ricardo Lopez. He was known as PFP one of the best in the world and ended up defending his title 21 times. He retired 51-0. The reason why most people never heard of him?
He fought at 108 pounds.
Thats a real shame.

I never heard of the guy either. They, the promotion need to do something to help him stand out. The dude, despite being a manlet is a once in a generation talent.

People like this guy refuse to actually watch his fights. Or don't understand what they are watching.

I understand what im watching just fine bro.

The "you think hes boring because you dont know anything " cliche is overused here.

Hes boring bro. Get over it.

Or in your case under it

I like him as a person. He is professional. He is humble.

I just don't like the smaller weight class. 145 is the first weight class I'll watch

He fought at 108 pounds.
He fought at 108 pounds.

fucking lol, when you google his name he his not even the first one that come up, the first one is a pest control officer

life is hard when you are a manlet

Thats a real shame.

I never heard of the guy either. They, the promotion need to do something to help him stand out. The dude, despite being a manlet is a once in a generation talent.
To be fair, normal manlets would look at him as a manlet.

Back